Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Feathers vs. Vanes...Anyone else notice this?

Old 12-21-2002, 04:40 PM

Default RE: Feathers vs. Vanes...Anyone else notice this?

Normally vanes will start to over take feathers around 40 or 50 yards. So you would see them start to drop a little, but that much at 30 yards sound odd. I can actually go from 5 inch vanes to 4 inch feathers at 50 or 60 yards and they group pretty close.

One other thing you are not taking into consideration is that your FOC has changed making your arrow more nose heavy. This may have something to do with it. Or your bow is not tuned as well as you think it is. With my bow I can shoot almost any arrow configuration I want from 300 to 450 grns with vanes or feathers and at 30 yards they are all pretty close. And my bow is not that fast. One thing you can try is using some lighter tips to stiffen up the spine of your arrows and lower the FOC, provided it is not really low to begin with. If your arrows were a little weak in spine it may show up in this way also.

The question is which is the better tune. The lighter arrow with more foc, or the heavier ones? Which group better at the longest distance you can shoot well?

It never hurts to experiment, just don't beat yourself up over it.

Paul

Hi Phil, I decided to wander this way again after seeing you over there.
Old 12-21-2002, 05:27 PM

Default RE: Feathers vs. Vanes...Anyone else notice this?

Timbow2, something is wrong there, you should not get a 7 inch drop with anything at 10 yards. I think you had some kind of rest contact or something, or the rest is not right.

I could shoot a 30 inch 23/64's aluminum with a light 25 inch 18/64's carbon at ten yards and not be that far off. I was going to say with the weight difference and Foc combined with the smaller dia it may account for some of it. But after figuring it up there is only about 30 grns difference( @29inches and 100grn tip) and about 1% foc, with 1/64ths difference in diameter. None of that should make a big difference, at any range, let alone 10 yards.

I am not slamming on you, just letting you know something does not sound right. What is your set up? The reason I ask is that a 2216 at 29" with 100 grn tip shows up as an A spine at 60 lbs of draw. The 2317 spines for 80 lbs of draw! Is one really stiff, or is one really weak? I have shot carbons that spine to 100lbs out of my 60lb bow and they shoot fine. Never had a problem with over spined arrows actually. I am curious as to what yours is over or underspined and with what arrow.

Let me know,
Paul