Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Installing Drop Away Cord

Old 05-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default Installing Drop Away Cord

I was wondering what everyone thinks is the best way to install the drop away cord on your bow? Do you like to run the cord through the cable, just serve over it, or tie it on like a d-loop? It seems some ways would be easier than others in case you had to remove it for some tuning. What do you think is best and why? Thanks.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:36 PM

Default RE: Installing Drop Away Cord

I like to:

Serve for approximately1 inch on the down cable.

Separate the cable below the serving and run the rope through the cable.

Melt the end to create a ball.

Wha-la!
Old 05-05-2007, 02:10 PM

Definately through the cable for me. Seems less likely to ever fail.

Try this from the RipCord website:

For serving in the rest cord.
Start by splitting the nearest cable (downward traveling cable) and sliding the rest
cord into the same position as described above. The pressure of the cable on the cord will hold it in place while
you are setting it. Draw the bow back to full draw and
let down (
do not dry fire), this will cause the cord to slide in the cable and set it into position. Lock the rest into
the up position and draw the bow to make sure the cord will disengage the rest mechanism. The cord should now
be in the proper position. Trim the end of the cord next to the cable and pull it away from the cable and melt the
end and flatten like a mushroom. Now you can serve in the top and bottom of the cable.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:09 PM

Through the cable a very secure mount.

I don't recommend serving both above and below the string. If your string does break and you do need to replace it, it will be nearly impossible to separate the string strands between both servings considering it is only a 1/16" gap (or the width of your rope). If serving to your down cable, serve above the string. Vice versa for an up cable. The last thing I want to have to do after a string breaks is to have to take my hunting knife and try to cut a serving off.

Just a suggestion though.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Trophy Ridge Cord Clamp is the easiest method of attachment and many folks I know are switching to one because of the ease of installation and ease of adjustment. It's certainly a great option for most folks.

TR Cord Clamp

My own personal method however, is to seperate the string and insert, melt and bead the cord end. After this I prefer to serve above the cord with .018" Brownell Diamondback