Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

My new arrow

Old 05-03-2007, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default My new arrow

Due to many of the great posts in this section I have made a new arrow for myself. The arrow is a Carbon Tech whitetail XP, the shaft is 30", total arrow length is 31.75". I currently have 3 blazer vanes. Last night I was shooting a 250gr tip for a total weight of 584gr and a FOC a little over 17%. When I shoot again I am going to use a 200gr tip and that will give me 534gr and a FOC of 16%. I got them grouping pretty good at 40 yards but I really liked that when it would smack into the target it was LOUD . I only made 3 out of the dozen but when I spun all 12 shafts they were fantastically straight. I am going to make some more the next couple of nights and I'll probably try some 4" vanes on some of them. I am thinking these will be some fun arrows to work with and eventually get setup for this fall. I want to use a 200gr broadhead but have not bought any that size yet.

I have learned a great deal from some of you here and hopefully I can put that knowledge to good use. This is MUCH more fun than firearms.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My new arrow

200 grain broadhead, What are you hunting GODZILLA? What head comes in 200 grain?
Old 05-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

My thoughts too.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:55 PM

Why shoot such a heavy arrow? Are you drawing back 90lbs?
Old 05-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

200 grain broadhead, What are you hunting GODZILLA? What head comes in 200 grain?
I wanted a heavy FOC so I got an arrow with a stiff spine. The heavy tip balances things out. Muzzy Phantom comes in 200 and 220. The Razorcap comes in weights from 100-200 and the Steelforce premium comes in a 210 weight. The broadheads are not any bigger than the ones you use, just heavier. Is there a good reason NOT to use a heavy broadhead? (I do have other arrows that use lighter tips).
Old 05-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MDBUCKHUNTER

Why shoot such a heavy arrow? Are you drawing back 90lbs?
70lbs DW. Like I said after reading what some of the folks here had to say about heavier arrows, heavy FOC's, momentum and penetration I thought it would be fun to make the arrows and shoot them. If we are shooting deer inside of 30 yds why not a heavy arrow?
Old 05-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

70lbs DW. Like I said after reading what some of the folks here had to say about heavier arrows, heavy FOC's, momentum and penetration I thought it would be fun to make the arrows and shoot them. If we are shooting deer inside of 30 yds why not a heavy arrow?
Why not indeed!! The arrows I am currently working are very similar. I have one that is 524 grains total weight, with a 200 grain tip and 3 - 4" inch feathers that has a FOC of 19%! I hunt elk out here in the big wild west - sometimes shots get a little farther than 30 yards.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great choice , should be silent and deadly
Old 05-04-2007, 07:02 AM

I just made upmy new hunting arrows for whitetail. 500 grains with a 125 grain tip. You'll see them, Bruce, when you come to the seminar. We'll also have a lot more discussion about arrows and what makes them work better for penetration.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bow_hunter44

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

Why not indeed!! The arrows I am currently working are very similar. I have one that is 524 grains total weight, with a 200 grain tip and 3 - 4" inch feathers that has a FOC of 19%! I hunt elk out here in the big wild west - sometimes shots get a little farther than 30 yards.
Sounds great! Speaking of heavy tips, everything I hear about these Silverflames seems to be fantastic, they have 100, 125, 150 180 and 210's. They are expensive but if I were elkhunting I think I would seriously consider them. You can buy them in the USA here.

Quick Reply: My new arrow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.