Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

My new arrow

Old 05-04-2007, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My new arrow

ORIGINAL: Len in Maryland

I just made upmy new hunting arrows for whitetail. 500 grains with a 125 grain tip. You'll see them, Bruce, when you come to the seminar. We'll also have a lot more discussion about arrows and what makes them work better for penetration.
LOL You don't know how much I am looking forward to this seminar. See you then!
Old 05-04-2007, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

ORIGINAL: Len in Maryland

I just made upmy new hunting arrows for whitetail. 500 grains with a 125 grain tip. You'll see them, Bruce, when you come to the seminar. We'll also have a lot more discussion about arrows and what makes them work better for penetration.
LOL You don't know how much I am looking forward to this seminar. See you then!
You don't know how much I wish there were pro shops in my area that offered these types of seminars!! I'm jealous!

Bruce, thanks for the link to the Silverflame's. I have seen them before, they are EXPENSIVE, but I think they are a thing of beauty!!
Old 05-04-2007, 11:51 AM

The Silver Flames have a great reputation, and it is probably well deserved. However, one of Dr Ashby's reports dealt with broad heads. The silver flame didn't do as well for himas several much cheaper broadheads.

Dr Ashby settled on the Grizzley two blade. I think that he used the 190 grain, but don't have time right now to look it up.

There are several of Dr Ashby's reports posted on Tradgang.com They have a whole section just for him.

Bruce, I look forward to meeting you at the seminar. Be sure to bring lots of questions for Len. My list is already about 20 questions long.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AllenRead

The Silver Flames have a great reputation, and it is probably well deserved. However, one of Dr Ashby's reports dealt with broad heads. The silver flame didn't do as well for himas several much cheaper broadheads.

Dr Ashby settled on the Grizzley two blade. I think that he used the 190 grain, but don't have time right now to look it up.

There are several of Dr Ashby's reports posted on Tradgang.com They have a whole section just for him.

Bruce, I look forward to meeting you at the seminar. Be sure to bring lots of questions for Len. My list is already about 20 questions long.
I have only seen pictures but the silverflames do not look as thin, thickness wise, as the other broadheads and maybe that had something to do with it. The one thing I have read about them consistantly is their ability to hold a razor edge and I think that is because they are made more like a knife instead of a razor. Perhaps that is why they appear thicker.

It will be a pleasure to meet you, Allen, and everyone else there. I have so many questions I am afraid to write them down and, being so new to this, I think I will be better served by just listening to Len and everyone else, at least for the first day LOL.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: AllenRead

True, the Grizzly broadhead in Dr. Ashby's study turned out to be the best of the best. The drawback to that, from my persepctive, is that the Grizzly is a glue on broadhead, as were many of the cheaper broadheads that performed better than the Silverflame. The Silverflame, on the other hand, was reported to be the best of the screw-in broadheads in the study (at least if memory serves me correctly, typically a BAD assumption!).

I hope you and Bruce will pass along any delightful tidbits you learn atLen's seminar, ....
Old 05-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bow_hunter44

True, the Grizzly broadhead in Dr. Ashby's study turned out to be the best of the best. The drawback to that, from my persepctive, is that the Grizzly is a glue on broadhead, as were many of the cheaper broadheads that performed better than the Silverflame.
At 3RiversArchery they sell broadhead adaptersthat screw in and then you can glue on broadheads. They also sell heavier steel adaptersif you want to increase your tip point weight .
Old 05-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

True, the Grizzly broadhead in Dr. Ashby's study turned out to be the best of the best. The drawback to that, from my persepctive, is that the Grizzly is a glue on broadhead, as were many of the cheaper broadheads that performed better than the Silverflame.
At 3RiversArchery they sell broadhead adaptersthat screw in and then you can glue on broadheads. They also sell heavier steel adaptersif you want to increase your tip point weight .
Thanks Bruce! One question - if I were to get a broadhead adapter, which would turn a glue-on into a screw on, what have I gained over an already built screw on - like the Muzzy Phantom SS? (which looks like a dandy broadhead to me).
Old 05-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Bruce! One question - if I were to get a broadhead adapter, which would turn a glue-on into a screw on, what have I gained over an already built screw on - like the Muzzy Phantom SS? (which looks like a dandy broadhead to me).
I suppose it would just give you more broadhead options, such as the Grizzly, but me, I am going to go with the Muzzy (for the 2 bladedesign)and/or the Razorcap (for the 3 blade) when using a heavy broadhead.

Another thing to think about is inserts. They make 50 and 100 grain brass inserts so you can use those and then select an 85,100 or 125 grain broadhead. More options LMAO[:-][8D]
Old 05-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

You are easily amused!! When I get around to broadhead selection, I am planning on getting a few Muzzy Phantom's (200 g), a few Stingers (150 g+ 50 g insert), and perhaps a Steelforce premium (210 g, and I wouldget a few more, butbudget constraints are, well, budget constraints)get them all dialed in, and see which ones fly and group the best.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just finished measuring the speed of the arrow. 200gr point, 534gr total weight, FOC 16.% and I get 233FPS out of the bow. At 20 yds it gets down to 227FPS and, according to my software it should be 225FPS at 30yds. I will know for sure tomorrow. I am liking this arrow.

Quick Reply: My new arrow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.