Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow string twist ?

Old 04-24-2007, 02:06 PM
Bartender

Default Bow string twist ?

I was shooting at a free archery range here in Lake County, IL and I just hung my bow up. 2 other guys were shooting and one came up and hung his bow up and I borrowed his allen wrench and he was looking at my bow. He told me my string should have a real tight twist all the way through the string. True?
So I get to the bow shop ive been going too and she says naa on the single cam you dont have too. I usually deal with the guy that always sets my bow up *changing strings and cables* but he wasnt there.

Other question is a tilller one:
2 guys said i should measure from the sting to the riser and make sure they are equal. True?
Bow shop lady said she didnt think so but she had heard that but might not matter on asingle cam.
Your thoughts please?

BTW I am loving the carbons I switch to from aluminum.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bow string twist ?

The truth to the twist issue lies somewhere between the two extremes. You actually want somewhere between 5 and 10 twists per foot of string/cable. Too few can lead to peep rotation issues and too many is an indication of an overstretched, or too long of a string, or you timing is way out of whack.

In order to properly measure the tiller on a single cam bow, you need to run a piece of string between the axles (top to bottom). Use this as your reference measurement to the point where the limb pocket meets the riser. You can't use the string because the cam and the idler are rarely the same size, thus the string is not perfectly square to the riser.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Bartender

Such a thing as timing issue with single cam?
Old 04-25-2007, 05:05 AM

i'd say 6-12 twists per foot is good, w/ a twist every 1.3" ideal. the single cam comes w/ a point its supposedly more efficeint. i don't know if timing is the right word, but it may be. usually, unless you're just fall perfect in drawlength, you have to move it out of its proper position a bit to get the bow to fit a person perfectly, if the person understands how important that is. a lot of folks think cam position supercedes a bow fitting you, but that's incorrect - as a matter of fact its one of the most incorrect archery myths out there.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gibblet

i'd say 6-12 twists per foot is good, w/ a twist every 1.3" ideal. the single cam comes w/ a point its supposedly more efficeint. i don't know if timing is the right word, but it may be. usually, unless you're just fall perfect in drawlength, you have to move it out of its proper position a bit to get the bow to fit a person perfectly, if the person understands how important that is. a lot of folks think cam position supercedes a bow fitting you, but that's incorrect - as a matter of fact its one of the most incorrect archery myths out there.
Thank you very much GIBBLET. I'm so glad to see someone finally say that draw length fit is more perfect than cam orientation. Everybody thinks that lining up two holes with the string is ideal. I say getting the draw length right is more important and where cam orientation falls, so be it.

I'll give up a few FPS any day to make the bow fit right.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:14 PM

a lot of folks think cam position supercedes a bow fitting you, but that's incorrect - as a matter of fact its one of the most incorrect archery myths out there.
I will third, fourth and fifth that!Way too many people worry too much about the technical stuff and not enough about just plain trying to shoot better.

If you are shooting 5 inch groups at 20 yards chances are it is not because your cam is a sixteenth of an inch out of rotation. It's probably because your draw length is too long, you are pulling too much weight and your grip is wrong and or not consistent. Among a dozen other things we could name.

Paul
Old 04-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

a lot of folks think cam position supercedes a bow fitting you, but that's incorrect - as a matter of fact its one of the most incorrect archery myths out there.
I will third, fourth and fifth that!Way too many people worry too much about the technical stuff and not enough about just plain trying to shoot better.

If you are shooting 5 inch groups at 20 yards chances are it is not because your cam is a sixteenth of an inch out of rotation. It's probably because your draw length is too long, you are pulling too much weight and your grip is wrong and or not consistent. Among a dozen other things we could name.

Paul
amen. Nuff said.

Barry