Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

A simple change..... a world of difference

Old 04-16-2007, 01:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Default A simple change..... a world of difference

So I had a little burr on my release and really wanted to try something new. I had shot the Scott Lil Goose for about 6 years. I picked up the Silver Horn at Lens and decided it felt good enough to change and it's much easier on the loop. So I've shot it for a few days with the new bow but it just didn't feel right. I was having a tough time getting an anchor that felt right. I'd shorten it, lengthen it and back and forth for a 2 or 3 days. So I went to Len's to shoot a few arrows because we got 50 mile an hour winds going on outside. I was switching back and forth from Lil Goose to SilverHorn, shortening it lengthening it. Len walked in and was talking to the two of us in the room. I made a comment I'm just having a time getting this new release and an anchor down solid. The guy left and Len said, give me your bow. He cranked it down all the way so there was no strain. He said there, now draw and anchor. He said that isn't ever going to work like that. He measured me, the bow and my waistline. LOL Then he showed me the barrell length difference in the releases and started explaining this and that. He finally said, look, give me your release. He made a change in my bow, changed the release, moved my peep and nose button and said draw that and anchor here. Presto, the magic anchor point. Head errect and facing straight out with a full field of view. I tell ya, there's nothing to this archery crap. LOL I've been at it for 36 years and it's never been easier...with Len around. [&:]
Old 04-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A simple change..... a world of difference

Yeh, nothing that Len can't handle. Things come a little harder for the rest of us.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Dominant Buck

YUP, so my point of impact moved about 8, maybe 10inches. I nailed the spike holding the target on first shot with a new arrow. LOL I said I better move the gang about 8 inches. He had a wrench and said give it to me. SO he starts cranking and I said, "Wait, move the point of impact 8 inches, not the site. I thought he was getting carried away cranking on it. Anyway, I said... well we'll have it bracketed anyway with all those turns. You know it. Dead center X. I would have made about a half dozen changes to get there. LOL
Old 04-16-2007, 01:52 PM

Okay what release are did you end up with??And who makes the silver horn release?
Old 04-16-2007, 01:57 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm still playing with both. I have 2 Scott Lil Gooses and the new one the SilverHorn is also made by Scott. I really think I'll end up using the SilverHorn. I'm giving my old Darton to a friend to get him started in bowhunting and will give him one of the Lil Gooses and keep the other in my fanny pack as an emergency release. Right now I had been shooting the Lil Goose better but that was because of the anchor problem with the SilverHorn. I only shot a few arrows after all the changes as I was getting tired of pulling that 70 pounds. I'd shot for an hour or so. But the last few were true and felt really good. I was much more solid and locked in when I settled in. This new release is much better for hunting. You can feel and hook it without having to look at the loop. Len turned me on to that little trick too with feel. I can load it as fast with my eyes closed as I could the old release with my eyes open. And in low light the old jaws type release was an adventure to load. He also got me on the nose button for hunting. If I draw with my eyes closed the nose button touches the tip of my nose I can open my eyes and am looking dead through the peep.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:21 PM

He also got me on the nose button for hunting. If I draw with my eyes closed the nose button touches the tip of my nose I can open my eyes and am looking dead through the peep.
My nose doesn't come to much of a point, so finding the tip can vary quite a bit. How does this nose button work? Who makes it?
Old 04-16-2007, 02:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Well it really doesn't come dead center tip. I have a little corner to the right side. It comes to it. I have no idea who made it. Len put it on.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:32 AM

Do you know if it's a commercial product or is it a homemade gadget?
Old 04-17-2007, 04:43 AM

David,
I want to switch to a Scott SilverHornalso. I don't understand what turning down the bow had to do w/ finding the right anchor and feel.
Are you saying you were pulling too much or anchoring wrong or do you have to make adjustments to these things because of this release???
I'm confused.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Isn't it nice to have someone with that type of expertise close at hand?

Quick Reply: A simple change..... a world of difference

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.