Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow selection dilema!

Old 04-20-2007, 12:27 PM

Default RE: Arrow selection dilema!

Brace height is 7". Arrows are 27" (insert to nock) So my draw must be the same (I thought it was 27.5"). I use 100 gr last two years and just went back to 125's as part of this "experiment". Bow is maxed out at about 68-70# (depending on which scale you use).
My form has been described as "very good". (No heel or palm, etc.)
Been shooting 27 years.
Tear is slightly high (1/4"), and right tear about 3/4 - 1". Both bare shaft and fletched.
One of the reasons I reduced my draw and had the arrows cut down to 27" was to stiffen the spline.
Bottom line, I shoot consistently at club, outdoors, and 3-d shoots . . . just bugs me I can't get that bullet hole. And maybe a small part of me is looking for an excuse to buy some new stuff!
Old 04-20-2007, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll run it again after work with your info. The program listed the brace height at 7" and just wanted to confirm.I believe I did run a 27" arrow though and it was stiff. I'll confirm tonight and even email you a word document with multiple screen shots of the results. I think the program does have the cabelas arrows in there too. I'll make sure tonight.

Your draw can definitely be longer than the arrow. I shoot a 28.25" arrow and have a 30" draw.

I'm sure you tried this already or you wouldn't be asking about the spine weight. But have you tried moving the rest just a hair? Like 1/32" of an inch. My WB was giving me problems with a tear like that but to the other sideand I kept moving the rest too much to correct and had a heck of a time. I found that I had to barely move it at all. the only way I knew it actually moved was the line on the rest bar got a little bit wider.

The excuse for new equipment is a good one and maybe you should run with it. New stuff is always good.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

try droping your Pull wieght 5 pounds if you really like the arrows and want to keep them.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:41 PM

Your set up is close to mine w/ the exception of draw length.
Here's mine 68lbs. 28" draw.
Beman 400 Black Max arrows @ 27" w/ 100gr. tip.

The charts say 400's are correct. I think a 100 gr point will help you out. Even an 85gr point could work if 100's don't fix it. ( I think 100's will)

The 400's are JUST on the edge of the chart w/ 100gr. pts.. If you want to keep the 125 points definately go to 340's.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

According to my program with a 27" 400 spine arrow and a loop,you are right in the middle"perfect spine".

Save your money and try to find the source of the problem.

What kind of rest are you using.A high tear can be caused by too much tension on the rest,nock point to high,contact or it can even be a problem with a whisker buscuit form my experience.

Synchronization of the cams could be the culprit also.

The 1/4 right isn't a problem imo but a slight torque can cause that and that can be with either the face or hand.

Cam lean can also cause it.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:01 AM

I've been using the Whisker Bisquit.

Thinking of going back to a good drop-away though.

I had the bow looked at not too long ago by our local "tech", he said everything was up to snuff.

I used to get bullet holes from the PSE I used to have. But not this.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

TFOX,

I'm glad you got the same result that I did with that arrow and his set-up. I was starting to think that I was doing something wrong. OnTarget had the spine selection at .3965 and the arrow is of course .4000. Thank you.

Dave
Old 04-21-2007, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Charts are just a guideline and arrow length really affects the spine.Yes,he has a 68# bow, but a short draw and short arrow.

IMO,the bristles are just too stiff on the WB and will have a high tear with many arrows.

NOW,check your actuall draw length and no estimations.The easiest way I have found is to draw the bow with an arrow nocked.Have someone mark it right at the middle of the burger hole,assuming the hole ligns up right above the back of the grip.Measure the arrow to the mark from the nock groove and then add 1 3/4".This will give you the exact draw length for your bow.

I usually use arrows that are shorter than my draw length by about an inch,if this is the case for you,your spine could be on the light side.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:37 PM

Took the bow into tech today and will put the RipCord Fall-Away rest on.
He noticed something I had overlooked and never considered . . . I use a release loop, and just under the top knot is the brass Nok Set that came with the bow!
He thought it could be providing enough downward pressure on the arrow at release to create that odd tear. It's coming off. He is going to give the bow a tune-up also. Will let you know what happens to my "search for a bullet hole."
Old 04-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

You may have found the problem. Hopefully that takes care of it.

Quick Reply: Arrow selection dilema!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.