Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Wonder what I'm doing wrong?

Old 04-14-2007, 07:26 PM

Default Wonder what I'm doing wrong?

We were pretty slow at the shop for a while today, so I was messin around w/ my set up.....Just playing, not really changing anything......Anyway, I was shooting through paper and found something ascew....

I shot 6 arrows.....First one, 1" tear right, second, absolutely perfect, 3rd, 1/4" low, and the last 3 were perfect holes.....I would think I must be torquing the grip, yes? My bow hand is quite relaxed, but I have to think about relaxing the rest of my body....especially my bow arm.....Could that be it maybe?? It seemed that when I did relax, I shot good holes.....I know torque causes weird things, but I wouldn't think it would cause a low tear???????
Old 04-14-2007, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Wonder what I'm doing wrong?

It could be the arrows or it could be facial torque.

Try again but this time,do not apply pressure to your face and also,check and see if the same arrows are the ones tearing each time.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:38 PM

Facial torque??? That's a new one for me........Explanation? Please? I will number the arrows and eliminate, or colaborate that one..
Old 04-14-2007, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sometimes when you anchor on your face,with certain releases,it will cause a tear in paper.

I absolutely could not shoot my Tru ball Chappy Boss release without a tear.

Just one more reason why some don't like paper tuning.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:52 PM

Ok, now this is interesting....I've never heard of any of this......Ok, so if that's the case, why doesn't the tear occur on every shot?
Old 04-14-2007, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Inconsistancies in the anchor could be the cause.like I said,check without putting the release to your face.

Just one of those things I like to eliminate.

Ispent hours trying to figure out whyI had a tear out of what should have been a perfectly tuned bow.It turned out to be my face and release didn't get along.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:14 PM

have you ever shot an arrow and it doesnt come off the rest perfectly and as you see the arrow for about 1/2 a second you can see the arrow out of contol and kinda shaky? then you take another shot and its perfect.
i get one of those shots every now and then, but i wouldnt worry about the tear in the paper. if it was a lung, the bh would still done its job.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:35 PM

MO, while I understand what you're saying, I'm a bit.....weird, when it comes to my equipment....I won't be able to sleep until it's as perfect as I can get it.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Facial torque???
(Read with a Texas twang) Ah thankat's th' 50dollah word whut means "you ain't holdin' yer mouth right." [8D]
Old 04-15-2007, 08:28 AM

This is the biggest problem with paper tuning, or any sort of tuning to be honest. It is only as good you shoot to begin with. Many will shoot through paper chasing tears all over the place until they are ready to pull their hair out. When in reality there is nothing wrong with the bow, they just don't shoot consistent enough to tune effecitively.

I don't even bother tuning a bow for a new archer. I set everything so the arrow is coming out straight with no contact and leave the bow alone. Form is much more important than worryng about tune. Once they learn to shoot consistently, then we can worry about tuning. You can shoot amazingly well with an out of tune bow and field tipped arrows with good fletchings.

Number your arrows and see if the same arrows do the same thing every time. If not then it is your grip or form. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

If you are paper tuning and don't get consistent tears DON'T adjust anything! That's my advice anyway. If the bow is not set right it will put a tear in the paper, but it should do it consitently. If you get one arrow that goes up, then the next goes down or to the right chances are it is not the bow. I would either look at the arrows or the person pulling the string.

And yes, coming to full draw and digging the nock and the release into your face can cause problem since you will not do it the same way every time. It will induce archers paradox just like shooting with fingers. At full draw everything should be comfortable, relaxed and lightly touching.

My opinions anyway.

Paul

Quick Reply: Wonder what I'm doing wrong?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.