Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Wonder what I'm doing wrong?

Old 04-15-2007, 05:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Wonder what I'm doing wrong?

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Facial torque???
(Read with a Texas twang) Ah thankat's th' 50dollah word whut means "you ain't holdin' yer mouth right." [8D]

,that's it
Old 04-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only way to determine facial torque is to put on lots of really brite red lipstick--that will tell you if your face is in the proper spot on the kisser button.Or maybe check your henweighs.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:23 PM
Dominant Buck

If you're going to paper tune you got to spin some arrows and find the BEST you got and they better be straight. Spin them several times. Get yourself a couple of the best and just shoot them first through paper and see that they're the same. Form is now the important part. It must be the same or you're screwed. Tune with one. Shoot at different distances. Shootthe other. Shoot them both.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say throw away the paper, broadhead tune, bareshaft tune and be done with it.

Paper tuning just makes me angry and more angry.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Paper tuning just makes me angry and more angry.
But it works and it doesn't take a lot of time. If you're paper tuned your broadheads will fly straight.(assuming your arrows aren't crap)
Old 04-18-2007, 07:57 AM

One of the pro shooters who also works for an arrow company, told me that he uses paper to first tune his bows then to select his arrows.

First he tunes with one straight arrow like davidmil mentioned.

Once he has a good paper tune with one arrow he shoots all of his arrows through paper to cull the ones that are not giving him the same tear as his # 1 arrow.With hisamazinly consistent form, thismeans that thereis a spineproblem with the arrows that don't tear with # 1. It may bethat they are bad arrows or just that the nocks are not aligned with thestiff spinedside of thearrow the same as the # 1 arrow. Twisting nocks and re-testing determines which it is.

Of course he goes on to group tuning, tiller tuning, etc.

There is also a way to determine if you are torquing the bow. Attach a paper to the riser and bend it so that one leg of the paper clip is aligned between your peep and your pin while your bow is at rest. When you come to full draw, you will be able to see if the paper clip is twisted one way or the other. If you see torque, let down and re-set your bow hand. Don't try to twist your hand while at full draw,this just doesn't work and you don't learn anything.

You often have to play with the alignment at rest because sometimes alignment at rest is not the same as alignment at full draw. However, it is a cheap and useful way to see how much you torque the bow.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:59 AM

I start w/ paper tuning, then I walk back tune. The combination of the 2 seems to work very well for me.

This particular day I was merely using the paper to judge consistency, and an INconsistency was obviously revealed.....I have since reading these replies moved my release hand away from my face, and not only is it more comfortable, my shooting has improved a little....Thanks guys...

Old 04-18-2007, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

But it works and it doesn't take a lot of time. If you're paper tuned your broadheads will fly straight.(assuming your arrows aren't crap)
Oh I'm definitely not saying it doesn't work, I know it does. I just find it easier to walk back tune and bareshaft tune and I achieve the same results.