Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Dropaway/setup question - high speed bow

Old 04-12-2007, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Dropaway/setup question - high speed bow

This summer, I might be getting my paws on an Iron Mace for hunting the upcoming season. I need advice on the best rest setup.

This bow supposedly IBO's in the 330's, and I'll probably hunt with a pretty heavy arrow (GT 5575 - 100 gr. head), which will drive the speed down. I'llprobably set it at a hair over 70# (depending on the force/draw curve, and how it holds)@ 29" or 29.25".

BUT - I will at least experiment with the HCA speed pro 5.5 gpi arrows (for my own amusement, and mostlyjust to torment my buddies) before the season, so the speed could push over 380 fps with a superlight broadhead.

So,if I'm going cutting-edge, I might as well try a new rest too(bodoodle now). My primary options arethe WB or a dropaway. I'mcurious whether a dropaway will be able to get down fast enough to clear the vanes on an arrow traveling at a VERY high speed (380). Secondly, will the WB damage my fletchings at that high of a speed? I'll be using 2" Blazers if I opt to try the WB.

The owner of High Country reccommended that I give this rest a look. (Catawba)

I'm still in the research phase on all this stuff, mentally putting together my setup before I actually buy anything. Troubleshooting prospectively, if you will.

Here a few pics of the bow (I would order the slimline grip instead, but that's unrelated to this discussion anyway), so feel free to clue me in on any prospective setup problems that might become an issue (note the roller guard).

This is the rest that my bow guru wants me to use. QAD. Too much clicking, locking, moving around, engaging, disengaging, and too much pricetag for my liking.
[align=center][/align][align=center][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]They do make an El-Cheapo model ($49.00) that's worth a look.[/align][align=center][align=center][/align][/align][/align]
Old 04-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dropaway/setup question - high speed bow

I shoot the "el-cheapo" model and love it, although my bow is not nearly as fast. I would say the Limb Driver would be about the only one that would get down fast enough, just based on how the rest operates. If you are shooting in the 380's though, you may want the full contain offered by the WB, for safety reasons, but I bet it would get torn up pretty fast. Good luck with whatever you decide, sounds exciting!
Old 04-12-2007, 11:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the input Mike. Unless these 5.5gpi arrows really surprise me (I'm just trying to get one or two to "test"), I'll be usingthe old-faithfulbattle-tested gold tips, which will keep me at a semi-normal speed.

The "lockdown" feature on the high-end QAD looks nice, and would be most appropriate to stay clear of the shaft/vanes, but it's just so stinkin' expensive (I'm America's BIGGEST tightwad), AND I'm guessing that if the guts get a little rusty, it might develop a few bugs. These cams xfer a lot of energy to the shaft in a very short period, which puts a lot of "snap" on things, resulting in a pretty big oscillation on the shaft as it passes.

I'm just afraid that if I go with the low end QAD, the flipper will drop, but actually "bounce" back up and strike the oscillating shaft as it passes. Am I thinking too much into this? They wouldn't have added the "lockdown" feature if they didn't see anything sketchy in the normal design.

This guy's got a Limb Driver installed. I guess thisIS option #3. If only looks could kill. Really nice set here.
What do you know about the LD's?

Old 04-12-2007, 12:19 PM

Be carefull with the speed pro's they are a liitle on the weak side,check them after each shot for cracks or weakness. They Are VeryFast Though! I've put acc 60 uni-bushings in and that has helped make them more durable.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've heard the same BT - Idid get the opportunityto play with the first generation of Speed Pro's (maybe 3 years ago?) out of an SSR. They were extremely brittle. Not sure if they're any better now - I'll give 'em a try though. I mostly just want one or two towhale through the chrono and see for myself how fast they really can go out of the HCA flagship bow.

I also want to see for myself how the bow handles with the heavy arrow vs. the lighter one coming off the string.

The speed pro fascination is more of a curiosity thing than anything else. I'm 99% sure that I'll have the GT's in the quiver for deer season, but I'll at leastgive them the chance to make a believer out of me.

If/when I get everything together (shooting for mid-summer) - I'll definitely take your advice on the ACC 60 Uni-bushings.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Quicksilver, that QAD is a POS. A guy was trying one today on a bow at Lens. He had terrible arrow flight, I mean the worst I've seen. His arrows were border line underspined so I handed him one of my 4 fletch mini hunter quickspins. Scratch to quickspin vanes. They looked like they'd been heated and stretched out of shape and then flattened down. Terrible.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

dang david...thanx for the info....i was going to drop the cash on that qad this summer...

not to hijack quiks thread....anyone make a GOOD containment style drop away??
Old 04-12-2007, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a QAD UltraRest LD, havent had a lick of problems with mine. You cant set them up like other drop aways though. Have to time it so it hits fully cocked right at full draw, not before. Otherwise you will have problems with it not dropping fast enough. I personaly think it is the best drop away out there, for two reasons. One it has all the benefits of the WB with none of the draw backs. Two its easy to set up, durable and reasonably priced. DAVID should go tell that guy at Lens to learn how to set up a rest, so people dont think itsPOS. Also, if your wanting a super fast set up the wisker bisquite is just gonna rob you of speed.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:08 PM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Quicksilver, that QAD is a POS. A guy was trying one today on a bow at Lens. He had terrible arrow flight, I mean the worst I've seen. His arrows were border line underspined so I handed him one of my 4 fletch mini hunter quickspins. Scratch to quickspin vanes. They looked like they'd been heated and stretched out of shape and then flattened down. Terrible.
I'm sure it was set up wrong. I've had one on my Trykon for a year and no contact at all.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know that the WB will sap a little speed from the arrow - anyone know (first hand) how much speed it will cost?

On the QAD - my guy is fanatical about these QAD rests (I admittedly know nothing about them).He just does this stuff as a retirement hobby (no companyties, discounts,or agenda). I'm sure he hasn't experimented with everything on the market, but he does about 30-40 bows/year. His customersseem tohave good luck with it, but I'm sure they're not everyone's favorite. Nothing is.

The input is much appreciated. From my experience, every now and then, you just have a bow that really doesn't like a particular rest. Just like turkey guns with chokes - it can be a crapshoot.

Anybody ever played with a limbdriver?

Also, since the roller-style cableguardseems to exert constant tension off the center axis (as opposed to astandard slide-style cableguard that oscillates through the shot)- will this bow be more prone to put extra strain on the axles and potentially result in a little cam lean or eat bushingsdown the road?

Quick Reply: Dropaway/setup question - high speed bow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.