Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Shoot through binary w/ no cable guard

Old 04-11-2007, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default Shoot through binary w/ no cable guard

ORIGINAL: Rick James

....why don't you find a way to make a shoot through binary that is slaved with no cable guard.
Darton's new binary cam system already has that ability. They anchor the cable off both sides of the cam with a yolk harness. All you would need to do is lengthen this harness and buy some Merlin spreaders- PRESTO! Shoot-through Binary.

From this to this:

Old 04-11-2007, 11:09 AM

Default RE: Shoot through binary w/ no cable guard

Here's a pic of the shoot through system I made up for my Guardain. I took it back off due to the sight picture I was getting. It didn't pick up any speed like I thought it might. The only thing it did was made the bow shoot to the right about 2 inches at 20 yards.

If was fun playing though

Old 04-11-2007, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

That's the problem with trying to do a shoot-through with a single cable- you need some sort of guidance for all the cables otherwise the cables will twist and the the 'shoot-through' portion isn't aligned. Obviously you know that and that's the reason for the dual cable guards.

I like the idea of being able to GET RID OF any cableguard! That's why I likethe x-system target bows so much. Shoot-through with no cable guard.

It is fun tinkering though- isn't it?
Old 04-11-2007, 11:30 AM

I tinker WAY more than I should. I'm happy with my shooting but I should shoot more than I do but the more I shoot, the more I get target panic.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Black Frog

....why don't you find a way to make a shoot through binary that is slaved with no cable guard.
Darton's new binary cam system already has that ability. They anchor the cable off both sides of the cam with a yolk harness. All you would need to do is lengthen this harness and buy some Merlin spreaders- PRESTO! Shoot-through Binary.

From this to this:

Very cool idea, I like it a LOT. The only problems you have with this is is that you don't get the convenience of easy tuning like the regular X shoot through system. You can't put twists on a cable with your fingers like you can with a shoot through X system. The take up track on the one end also isn't perfectly balanced, I wonder what this would do for cam lean, etc.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:08 PM
Fork Horn

The only problems you have with this is is that you don't get the convenience of easy tuning like the regular X shoot through system. You can't put twists on a cable with your fingers like you can with a shoot through X system. The take up track on the one end also isn't perfectly balanced, I wonder what this would do for cam lean, etc.
You're right, you don't get ALL the benefits of the Martin (or Barnsdale) X-system. I have both bows (Martin and Barnsdale) and they are VERY nice for easy tinkering.

But, even though you can't put twist in cables without a press, you still get the benefits of NO CABLE GUARD! And yes, the takeup track isn't perfectly balanced, very similar to the Merlin Rapid cam shoot-through system of a few years ago (I owned that one too ). That Merlin system shot very well, and to me shot better than the cable-guard version of the same cam. I did quite well at tournaments with that configuration.

Darton's system of anchoring of both sides of the cam does help cam lean as it is (with the cable guard). I was up at the dealer this past week checking out the new Darton's. I liked what I saw. Much less cam lean than on any of the regular Bowtech Binary's on the rack. Their demo Guardian wasn't bad- had a little lean at full draw. Their Alleg was absolutely horrible at full draw. I was surprised they had it as a demo- it was THAT bad.

So I think the Darton system is better with a cable guard, and if you made it a shoot-through (which is VERY easy to do) it would even be better yet.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, I have seen Darton's system as well and it is nice. My coach is on Darton staff and is shooting a 4000. I have shot it and looked at it extensively. They need to hurry up and get 1/2 or 1/4" adjustable modules though. Right now they are only 1".

Quick Q for you black frog, I just built a custom Martin S4 and am using Barnsdales doovawoppi's. Is there a best place for them to be placed on the cables?
Old 04-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

Saw your post on A.T. about it-

Usually I'll put 'em close to the cams, but I have used them in other positions when using a Duva to pull my drop away down.

My thinking is that putting the Duva's close to the modules (at full draw) keeps the mass weight on the cables from oscillating back and forth when shot to a minimum. Don't know if that's completely true or not, but is sounds good in my head.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Having no cable guard was the one of the main reasons I owned 3 different Oneida bows at one time. Sweet!

A couple of local guys placed highly or won Illinois state sanctioned indoor shoots after making their own crudely fashioned spreaders several years ago. It wasn't pretty but worked.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

I hate cable guards.

Sag.