Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

MZE and Parallel bow ??

Old 04-11-2007, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default MZE and Parallel bow ??

Ok, I have finally got the MZE and put it on my Patriot(04 single cam). It all seemed great for my 10 yd indoor target for two shots, then I went outside for 20 yds and the arrows were flying high and left from the Golden Key Premier Drop away that I took off. I put some lipstick on the fletching and yup, it's hitting the "hook" in two places(cock vane to the outside). The MZE i got from a guy on AT that said he had it off an Allegience, but it has 3 mounting holes rather than 2 like the picture in Greg/mo's review a month or so back. Here's my question: For those of you who have a MZE on a parallel bow, what holes did you use to mount, and what is the dimension from the mounting pivot bolt to the "hook"? I'm thinking this rest I have may not be the correct one for parallel bows, but there is room to bore another hole for a pivot point closer to the hook to get it out of the way faster and add total travel. I don't have the install video, so that part is out of the question. Don't have the instructions either, so if someone had a picture of those or scan to email it could help me out. I had no issues with my reflex, but the cable slide travel was almost double.
Thanks
Dandbuck
Old 04-11-2007, 07:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: MZE and Parallel bow ??

My proshop, Len at MacRotech is the king of putting on Muzzy Zero rest. I mean he's literally done hundreds of them. I was there once when the Muzzy people were there for a day long visit with customers etc. He was going to show Len how they put them on. Then he saw Len and his crew install a couple and said, "Oh, you don't need my help. You guys are good". Just filler to show he knows his Muzzys. Then along came the parallel limbs. He couldn't get the clearance, just like you've found. He showed Muzzy, they said they fixed it with a new model. Len tried them and said, "NOPE, you haven't fixed it". He's tried everything and finds it just too finicky to give any confidence. As much as he loved the Muzzy on his own personnal bow, The Darton Maverick, he now hates the Muzzy that much on a parallel limb bow. I saw a guy in his shop a week or so ago that insisted Muzzy said it would work. He wanted it. Len put it on for him. They both tinkered and tinkered and the guy finally admitted, you're right, Muzzy is wrong. Take it off and put on a Limb Driver. Len can tell you all the technical reasons why they don't work. He was a Muzzy-holic and still is... except on parallel limb bows. He's told them what he thinks would make it work but I guess they're a little reluctant to have to retool and come out with a new model. From Len's playing, I'd say you aren't ever going to get it right. I don't know your particular bow and am not a techie so I always differ to the expert on such things. That was my one concern when buying the Guardian, I wouldn't beable to have a Muzzy anymore. It was like an old friend. I still love the rest and have it on my Darton Maverick with recurve limbs. When Len puts it on his little machine and draws it and then releases it one little bit at a time you can see what's happening during the power stroke. It simply doesn't get out of the way fasted enough on a parallel limb bow.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

Ouch, not really what I wanted to hear. I hope there are some others that have had luck because Greg/mo had it on a Tribute which is parallel limb and loved it. After looking at the Kudo's, pass the salt thread pics, it seems like ther should be a 4th hole on the muzzy, so I may drill another hole and try it again, otherwise I have 2 MZE's to sell .
Thanks davidmil, just hoping others have had luck (good this time)
dandbuck
Old 04-11-2007, 03:17 PM

I guess you don't need to PM Dave after all. Like I said in my response to your PM, worked great on my Darton Yukon, not so well on my Bowtech. Nice to be around fellow darton lovers.

Hey if Len likes the Limb Driver I would try one of those.

My honest opinion I don't know if I would ever purchase another drop away. I am pretty sure I will be sticking with aluminums and I really like feathers so I don't really have issues with clearance. Then again it is getting almost impossible to find a decent prong type rest anywhere[:@].

Paul
Old 04-11-2007, 10:23 PM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

My proshop, Len at MacRotech is the king of putting on Muzzy Zero rest. I mean he's literally done hundreds of them. I was there once when the Muzzy people were there for a day long visit with customers etc. He was going to show Len how they put them on. Then he saw Len and his crew install a couple and said, "Oh, you don't need my help. You guys are good". Just filler to show he knows his Muzzys. Then along came the parallel limbs. He couldn't get the clearance, just like you've found. He showed Muzzy, they said they fixed it with a new model. Len tried them and said, "NOPE, you haven't fixed it". He's tried everything and finds it just too finicky to give any confidence. As much as he loved the Muzzy on his own personnal bow, The Darton Maverick, he now hates the Muzzy that much on a parallel limb bow. I saw a guy in his shop a week or so ago that insisted Muzzy said it would work. He wanted it. Len put it on for him. They both tinkered and tinkered and the guy finally admitted, you're right, Muzzy is wrong. Take it off and put on a Limb Driver. Len can tell you all the technical reasons why they don't work. He was a Muzzy-holic and still is... except on parallel limb bows. He's told them what he thinks would make it work but I guess they're a little reluctant to have to retool and come out with a new model. From Len's playing, I'd say you aren't ever going to get it right. I don't know your particular bow and am not a techie so I always differ to the expert on such things. That was my one concern when buying the Guardian, I wouldn't beable to have a Muzzy anymore. It was like an old friend. I still love the rest and have it on my Darton Maverick with recurve limbs. When Len puts it on his little machine and draws it and then releases it one little bit at a time you can see what's happening during the power stroke. It simply doesn't get out of the way fasted enough on a parallel limb bow.

My recent experience with the MZE EXACTLY.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

Not sure if this will help, but my friend just put one on his Guardian. He got the version for parallel limb bow. It works great.

I am currently putting one on my Equalizer. I haven't finish it yet, but I got the old version (the one with the 3 holes). From what I have set up so far, it looks like it will clear. I'm shooting cocked vane up or down.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

Could you do something for me? Measure the total travel of the cable slide. Then measure the length from the pivot on the riser to the pivot of the knuckle. Also, how long you ended up with on the adjustable arm. I just could not get it to work on my bow. I put the Gold key premier back on, but I'm interested in the QAD containment rest. Anyone wanna trade for a Muzzy ZE?
Dandbuck
Old 04-14-2007, 08:31 PM

Based on my experience and what I've read on numerous other threads, this issues seems to have been corrected with the MZE "Next Generation" rest for parallel limb bows. Just shoot the cock vein down andI don't think you'll have a problem whatsoever.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Typical Buck

I've gotthe MZE Next Generation on my Instinct and it tookalot of adjustments toget clearance, but I think we finally got it figured out. Cock vein down and nock point slightly high.The jury's still out on it for me. Good luck.