Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Drop away rests and fletching contact

Old 04-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default Drop away rests and fletching contact

I have a new drop away rest, Kaz-away, and I am getting contact with my fletching as evidenced by the marks on them. Unfortunately the package that the rest came in had instructions for a Vital Gear sight and not the rest. Bummer. Any pointers on how to eliminate fletching contact with a drop away rest? Specifically the Kaz-away.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Drop away rests and fletching contact

Are you shooting it cock vane up? The Kazaway should be shot this way.

I know the earlier models had to be setup higher than other rest to ensure they fall enough to clear.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

Yup, cock vane up...
Old 04-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Are you shooting Blazers?
Old 04-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good thought TFOX, blazers a great but diffenetly can cause some clearance issues. Other possibilities are timing issues on the rest, make sure your nocking point is good. If its off or you have a two cam bow with thats a hair out of time the back end of the arrow could be swinging down at the shot.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

The way you described the person that set the rest up,he knows what he is doing so I would talk to him and ask questions so in the future,you will know what is going on.

You said you get bullet holes,you should get them at more than 1 distance.If not,you might be getting a false reading.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:32 AM

did you make sure your knock is in the right place
Old 04-09-2007, 04:53 AM
Fork Horn

I have some Blazers and some 4" vanes. The guy from the bow shop said to I should try and move the nock set up to get the fletching up away from the rest on release. Thatchange made the tear pattern show a fairly nasty tear high pattern. Last night I was getting better tear patterns than I have gotten in the past. The implication being that working on my form has helped, a lot. But I'm still getting some ugly black marks on the flecthing, both the Blazers and the 4" vanes.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:40 AM

If you are getting fletch contact with the rest you are not ready to be shooting through paper. The arrow is destablized by the rest contact so the paper is only going to lead you to make funky rest settings to correct for bad arrow flight. Correct the contact problem first, then go to the paper at several distances. It sounds like you've got rest timing issues. I'm not familiar with that rest so I can't give you any advice on how to correct them but the prongs should be coming up in the last 2-4 inches of your draw. If it's coming up sooner then it doesn't start to drop soon enough when fired and isn't out of the way when the fletching reaches it.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

If you are getting fletch contact with the rest you are not ready to be shooting through paper. The arrow is destablized by the rest contact so the paper is only going to lead you to make funky rest settings to correct for bad arrow flight. Correct the contact problem first, then go to the paper at several distances. It sounds like you've got rest timing issues. I'm not familiar with that rest so I can't give you any advice on how to correct them but the prongs should be coming up in the last 2-4 inches of your draw. If it's coming up sooner then it doesn't start to drop soon enough when fired and isn't out of the way when the fletching reaches it.
When I read stuff like this, it makes me REAL HAPPY to be a WB user!

Quick Reply: Drop away rests and fletching contact

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.