Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Accuracy and shooting tips....

Old 04-02-2007, 06:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default Accuracy and shooting tips....

Since its kind of the down time of the year and lots of guys are out practice shooting. I was wondering if any of you marksmen out there would like to offer any tips or suggestions on how to improve accuracy and consistency. These could be tips the beginner or the expert could use. I know that there is always room for improvement. Just trying to get some of the forums moving.
Thanks
Old 04-02-2007, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Accuracy and shooting tips....

Start off at 10 yds , then 15, then 20, to build confidence. A lot of people only shoot during hunting season, or are a new shooter. Then pull their bows out and start at 20 yds. (Because everybody else is shooting there.) Well, if you're rusty then your accuracy is going to be off. If you are a new shooter there are things you need to work on well ahead of hitting center at 20 yds. By starting closer you build confidence and therefore stop self doubt.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:54 PM

I always start the season at 3 yards with my eyes closed to work on my release.
Then open my eyes and work on follow through.
Then work out to longer distances and practice at 10 yards beyond my maximum effective range (which is getting harder every year since my property isn't long enough now!).
Concentrate on one element of form at a time. (Each day focus on a different problem, not all of them every day.)
Treat every arrow as an individual w/o regard to the one before or after it, and remember "pratice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect"!

Old 04-03-2007, 07:00 AM

Look for the weakestpart of your form and make it a strength.

You probably already know what that is and it's probably the part that you like working on the least. Face it and make it your favorite part to work on.

Of course, don't forget to work on the rest of your form enough to maintain it.

Once you have made the weakest part a strength, go for the new weakest part.

Conquer each weakness in turn.

I respectfully disagree with KodiakArcher and think that you should do some work on everypart of your form during each practice session. Maybe only 3 or 4 arrows for one part and 50 arrows for another, butI think thateach part needs some work every session to avoid backsliding.

Most importantly, keep it fun!
Old 04-03-2007, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it only complicates and frustrates a practice routine if you do too much variety--especially if you're not having one of your "good" shooting days!jmho.Find a routine that works for you that you enjoy--i find turning down the poundage helps to extend my shooting time.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jsasker

I think it only complicates and frustrates a practice routine if you do too much variety--especially if you're not having one of your "good" shooting days!jmho.Find a routine that works for you that you enjoy--i find turning down the poundage helps to extend my shooting time.
Turning down the poundage in the beginning is definitely a good idea. You have nothing to prove to anybody by shooting a higher poundage than you can shoot accurately for a reasonable time. All you end up with is sore muscles and possible bad form habits.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Another good thing to practice is aiming,ONLY.

Pull your bow back,anchor and get set just like you are going to shoot and just practice holding the pin,or letting it float in the middle,then let down.Try it at 20 yards and then about every 5th arrow or so,let the release fire.You will be amazed at the accuracy you can achieve doing this.

Also,getting a back tension release could be a huge help in teaching you a proper release and teaching you what it feels like.

Trying to get your form locked in is also crucial.You need to find out what good form is and start trying to achieve it.You will find slight variations that will work for you but learning a good base is crucial.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Another tip I haven't seen anyone mention yet is to practice at really long distances in the summer... like twice as long as your current effective range. I was reading a Bill Winke column late last year about how he watched Randy Ulmer practice regulary at 70, 80 and 90 so that the 30- and 40-yarders seemed like slam dunks.

I've been shooting daily at 40 for a month or so, and I know when I move back to 20 the bullseye just seems huge to me. I'm pretty disappointed when I don't stack 'em in there pretty tight now after having shot so much at the longer distances. Next month, I'll be moving back to 50 for my daily practice and the month after that 60. That should about do it for where I want to be for my elk hunt this August... I want to feel super-confident at 40 on an elk.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

The problem with long range before the basics are covered,it can cause confidence problems and could cause target panick and form flaws.

That is the reason for the short yardage stuff.Kind of like shooting 5 spot to better your 3-d game.It is only 20 yards but it is a game of perfection and REPETITION.

Randy Ulmer is very accomplished and I do agree,once you have the basics covered,long range can be a great help to the short range shooting.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

I've got an old bow that I crank up the poundage on and then add a bunch of weight to the bow.I pull back and hold up for as long as I can.
This builds up my strength and allows me to hold steadier and longer.

Quick Reply: Accuracy and shooting tips....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.