Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Accuracy and shooting tips....

Old 04-04-2007, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Accuracy and shooting tips....

All excellent tips. I too like shooting very long ranges. Its not only challenging, its a lot of fun as well. Plus, it can also help you with the bow's tune.

One thing I really concentrate on when shooting targets is back tension. Even with a wrist strap release, I use back tension to "squeeze" the shot off. I've found that since I started doing this a couple years ago, I can shoot longer and more accurately. If the weather is crappy and cant get outside, I shoot a lot at a blank bale as well, just to work on release execution.

I actually just ordered a new release to try,a Carter Quickie Plus. It has zero trigger travel and a set of swappable springs to adjust trigger weight. I'm going to see if I can shoot more "pure" back tension with type of release.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just as important as a solid anchor and clean release is perfect form after the shot.You have to have good follow-thru if you want to be a good archer.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do not "hold" the grip on the riser after you draw back. If you do you can torque the bow during the release and cause a bad shot. I myself am still trying to get used to a bow sling and letting the bow "fall" after the shot.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:59 AM

Above all else, maintain the sight picture (pin on the intended point of impact) -from the moment of release until the arrow strikes the target.