Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Shooting in the Wind

Old 03-31-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Shooting in the Wind

I was out at the range today and the wind came up - pretty strong - maybe 25 mph. Since it is regularly windy here in southern Colorado, I decided to stay and keep shooting just for the experience. Not much affect at 20 yards with my Hoyt Pro Tec. But as the distance increased, the crosswind started to cause the arrows to enter the target at an angle - as if the wind was pushing the fletching over to the side. It did not seem to cause the spot where the field tip entered the target to shift much to the side, but the nock was off line at least 6 " at 50 yards. And, most importantly, the arrow drop was significantly more at distance - most likely because it isn't flying through the air in a straight line. At 50 yards, the impact was about 8" lower than it was in calm conditions.

Tried some broadheads. The arrow was now flying straighter than it did with field points, but entering the target 8" or 10"right at 50 yards. And the drop was about where it should be under calm conditions - maybe a couple of inches low. I'm thinking that the broadhead is allowing the wind to push on both ends of the arrow more equally; instead of just the nock endlike it does with field points. Interesting little session. Lesson learned here: I'm sticking with hunting at close range unless it's calm.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting in the Wind

Very good observation.Alot of people don't know what the windcan to their arrows
Old 03-31-2007, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is something everyone should try. One big effect is trying to keep your pin on the target long enough to shoot and fighting the wind can be quit hard sometimes.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:13 PM

I shot in the wind today also. Pretty stiff and steady breeze from right to left at maybe 20 -25 mph. I took three shots and quit. Too aggrivating for me when I don't hit where I'm aiming.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pretty cool observations. You have much more patience than I do.

when the wind is real bad I stop. Can't hit anything and its pointless to me.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

In a strong wind is when everyone should practice and know how to shoot. If you cant do it at targets what makes you think that you can go in the woods and try it on a animal not knowing how to shoot with a cross wind. It is amazing how much the arrow gets affected
Old 04-01-2007, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well built arrows will be effected little compared to the shooter.FOC is crucial in high winds.Heavier arrows also help.I shoot lighter arrows though but with 12 % foc.

Draw length and form also become much more critical.Good bone to bone contact becomes a must to try to fight the effects of the wind.

I shot today in what had to be 20 mph gusts.I was shooting well considering and was disappointed that it wasn't calm because things felt so good with my form and the pin was rock steady,BUT it kept getting moved by the wind.[:'(]
Old 04-02-2007, 06:13 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

If you doany 3-D events watch the guys that take it real serious. They pay attention big time to the wind in consideration to what it can do to the arrows flight.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:07 AM

ONE THING THAT MIGHT HELP IS WIND IS RYTHMIC, MEANING BLOW HARD FOR A FEW SECONDS THEN LET UP FOR A FEW EVEN IF ITS ONLY 5-10 MPH
Old 04-04-2007, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

i was shooting yesterday and it was gusty but not a steady gust...it would blow and quit quickly...at full draw i noticed the wind blew my whole bow lol. it wasnt a constant gust...i didnt see any effects on my arrows. though no doubt it can and will drift your arrows. it will drift rifle bullets that are relatively tiny compared to an arrow and moving at ~3000fps...so a big ole arrow moving at 250-300fps is going to be effected...

one good thing...i dont REALLY have to worry about it when hunting....if its windy enough to worry about arrow drift, its too windy for me to be in a tree!! i cant stand sitting in a tree when its blowing sideways...i have nightmares about the tree im in blowing over and busting with my extra weight up there...wierd lol

Quick Reply: Shooting in the Wind

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.