Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Who said that physics wasn't fun?

Old 04-05-2007, 05:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Who said that physics wasn't fun?

There have been some good points made on both the light and heavy arrow camps.

That being said, I don't subscribe to Arthur's ban on 400 gr or less arrows. That just seems to be putting the responsibility in the wrong place. It is the hunter who needs to decide which arrow weight works best for their setup.

Arthur, while I respect your opinion and your many....many years of hunting experience, in this case I would have to put you squarely in the fundamentalist camp with respect to arrow weight. Arrow weight is not a black or white issue. You are stating that a 400gr arrow will always have more momentum than a properly spined 350gr arrow when shot out of the same bow, and I agree 100% with that. The part if the logic that I feel is flawed is the fact that this requirement is laid down straight across the board without respect for draw weight, length or bow performance.

A 15 year old girl shooting a 30# bow at a 26" draw length will need all the help she can get with respect to penetration. I agree that the heavy arrows will help in that respect, however my hunting rig at 72# and 29" draw, generating 68 ft-lbs of KE will have more momentum with even a 320gr Speed Pro Max than hers would with even the heaviest arrow. That being said, where is the line? If you feel strongly about the issue (and I know you do), then argue that archers must meet particular momentum numbers. How you get there should be irrlevant (arrow weight, and speed).
Old 04-05-2007, 06:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Arthur, in my opinon you're fighting an uphill battle here.
I know that. When people stop looking at the big picture and do what's right for the sport as a whole and insist on doing what they want to do and to ell with the rest of the world, it's a lost cause. Nothing new though. It's exactly the same as whenI was on the losing side trying to keep compounds out of bow seasons.Just like when I was on the losing side in the fight over P&Y's 65% let-off rule. Just like when I was on the losing side to keep modern, scopedin-lines out of muzzleloader seasons.

As for the crossbow fight, I'm switching sides. I figure I might as well be on the winning side in ONE of these fights during my lifetime, and since they're doing their darnedest to turn compounds into vertical, hand-held crossbows anyway...

I am surprized to hear that about Idaho though, bow hunter44. They've long been one of the few states with sensible restrictions.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

Arthur, I was a little surprised by the change in the regulation about arrow weight myself. On the other hand, it appears (from a comment about a previouscomment about scoped muzzleloaders)you will bepleased to note that Idaho changed the muzzleloader regulations such that in-line muzzleloaders are out. Pivoting hammers only!
Old 04-05-2007, 07:09 AM

That being said, I don't subscribe to Arthur's ban on 400 gr or less arrows. That just seems to be putting the responsibility in the wrong place. It is the hunter who needs to decide which arrow weight works best for their setup.
State game departments regulate practically all aspects of weapon use. Why do they do this? Because there are thousands of people out there who don't have a clue that cetain configurations of weapons are not totally reliable for taking game.

I'd be willing to bet that not 1 in 10 bowhunters would know that a 600 grain arrow has a much greater penetration potential than a 300 grain arrow. Many would think the faster arrow would penetrate further.

In fact, the average bowhunter doesn't spine tune their arrows, they don't purposely shoot high FOC arrows with their fixed blade broadheads. Almost none tune the dynamic spine of the arrows to the setup they're shooting. I've watched many dozens purchase arrows at bow shops and I never hear anyone ask anything other than "how fast will these shoot?".

Leave up to the hunter? Kind of like letting them decide when deer season opens and closes.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:33 AM

I can tell you this...I am currently in Physics218 @ Purdue University and I know for a fact it isn't fun!!!!!! haha
Old 04-05-2007, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

You are heading down a slippery slope if your thinking is in that direction.

Under the set of circumstances the game comission must regulate the hunters arrow weight, how about draw weight? How many guys do you see doing the "sky draw" because they can't pull the bow straight back due to shooting too heavy of a poundage? Do we now require minimum AND MAXIMUM draw weight checks? How about the gun hunter that just takes is gun to the field thinking that "it was sighted in at the end of last season, it must still be on, does this require a yearly certification sticker on your gun that it has been sighted in properly? Possibly we should require the recurve and longbow shooters to prove they can hit where they aim before allowing them to the field with their bows.

I am not trying to get into a pi$$ing contest, but adding more equipment mandates leads to nothing more than more equipment mandates. The recurve guy that can't hit the broad side of a barn is still going to gut shoot every deer he sees regardless if he was shooting a soda straw or a telephone pole.

I understand what you are trying to accomplish with the heavier arrow weight, but that will come with education, not mandating more regulations.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:13 AM

I understand what you are trying to accomplish with the heavier arrow weight, but that will come with education, not mandating more regulations.
I might tend to agree with that statement if I saw even the slightest indication that education in this area was taking place. However, I see the exact opposite. Many bow shops workers don't even know how to spine tune an arrow. Walk into 10 of them and quizz them on KE vs momentum and see what you get. So, who's going to educate the average bowhunter?

All I hear is speed, speed and more speed. It's difficult at best to get even seasoned bowhunters to listen to the benefits of heavy arrows, much less getting them to try them.

I wouldn't worry too much about any regulations being affected in favor of heavier arrows. It appears that the speed merchants are more effective at lobbying the state game departments (ie Idaho). For me, getting regulations to force heavier arrow usage, is just wishful thinking.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

The recurve guy that can't hit the broad side of a barn is still going to gut shoot every deer he sees regardless if he was shooting a soda straw or a telephone pole.
Why are you picking on recurve guys? [>:]The guy that can't hit the broad side of a barn is still going to gut shoot every deer he sees, regardless of whether he's shooting a recurve, longbow, compound or a scoped 30-06.

I've not seen the numbers of 'em like someone who works in the retail end of the archery industry does, but there are some darn scary people out there. A wildlife management area near here has a draw hunt every year. They require a shooting proficiency test for hunters to qualify to hunt. For many years, our club conducted a test for those who hoped to get drawn. I was the guy who ran it the last 12 years we did the test.

It was no biggie, basically going through a 14 target 3D course and just showingthe ability to hit the 8 ring on a McKenzie deer target every time at no more than 30 yards. Just for your own edification, I never once had a traditional shooter fail the test. A great many compound shooters did fail though.

One guy in particular has always stuck out in my mind. He walks up to the registration table and signs up. He's got a mid-80's vintage PSE. Looked like it'd been hanging in the barn since the mid-80's too. Covered with cobwebs and it had several dirt dauber wasp nests on it. I pointed over to the practice range and suggested he take a few warmup shots. "Nope," he says. "I'm good." And away he goes onto the course, wiping cobwebs off with his hands as he goes. He didn't pass. Didn't even come close. Got real pissed at me too when I wouldn't sign off on his scorecard.

Now how are you going to educate someone like that?

Old 04-05-2007, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

State game departments regulate practically all aspects of weapon use. Why do they do this? Because there are thousands of people out there who don't have a clue that cetain configurations of weapons are not totally reliable for taking game.

I'd be willing to bet that not 1 in 10 bowhunters would know that a 600 grain arrow has a much greater penetration potential than a 300 grain arrow. Many would think the faster arrow would penetrate further.

In fact, the average bowhunter doesn't spine tune their arrows, they don't purposely shoot high FOC arrows with their fixed blade broadheads. Almost none tune the dynamic spine of the arrows to the setup they're shooting. I've watched many dozens purchase arrows at bow shops and I never hear anyone ask anything other than "how fast will these shoot?".

Leave up to the hunter? Kind of like letting them decide when deer season opens and closes.
In an earlier post someone stated that the antihunters would use the ligher arrow less momentum deal as an excuse to ban hunting. I'd bet that they'd use a post like this much quicker. When you have fellow shooters arguing over something like this it's a black eye to the whole sport and to all hunters. In most cases the arguement in a small diffrence in momentum. I wonder how the little person shooting the 45 lb bow feels about this?This is the first time in 20+ yrs of hunting I've heard fellow shooters and hunters arguing over something so stupid.

Also, comparing a 600 gr arrow to a 300 gr arrow is a rediculous comparison. And when you make as statement like the last one I start to question of you a really are even a hunter at all.

I ate an apple the other day. For some reason it tasted nothing like an orange.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

The recurve guy that can't hit the broad side of a barn is still going to gut shoot every deer he sees regardless if he was shooting a soda straw or a telephone pole.
Why are you picking on recurve guys? [>:]The guy that can't hit the broad side of a barn is still going to gut shoot every deer he sees, regardless of whether he's shooting a recurve, longbow, compound or a scoped 30-06.

I've not seen the numbers of 'em like someone who works in the retail end of the archery industry does, but there are some darn scary people out there. A wildlife management area near here has a draw hunt every year. They require a shooting proficiency test for hunters to qualify to hunt. For many years, our club conducted a test for those who hoped to get drawn. I was the guy who ran it the last 12 years we did the test.

It was no biggie, basically going through a 14 target 3D course and just showingthe ability to hit the 8 ring on a McKenzie deer target every time at no more than 30 yards. Just for your own edification, I never once had a traditional shooter fail the test. A great many compound shooters did fail though.

One guy in particular has always stuck out in my mind. He walks up to the registration table and signs up. He's got a mid-80's vintage PSE. Looked like it'd been hanging in the barn since the mid-80's too. Covered with cobwebs and it had several dirt dauber wasp nests on it. I pointed over to the practice range and suggested he take a few warmup shots. "Nope," he says. "I'm good." And away he goes onto the course, wiping cobwebs off with his hands as he goes. He didn't pass. Didn't even come close. Got real pissed at me too when I wouldn't sign off on his scorecard.

Now how are you going to educate someone like that?
Arthur,

You've just stated the biggest problem in all of hunting. People just do not practice enough and then compain that the arrow that hit the deer in the shoulder didn't pass the whole way through. I actually stopped archery hunting for 2 yrs because in my mind I did not practice enough to deserve to be out in the woods. The sad part is some people would probably call me rediculous for doing so. However,I see far to many people that are happy to hit the edge of a pie plate at 20 yds and then say their ready to shoot at a deer. To many people think a bow is like a gun. Just pick it up the first day and you're ready to go.

Quick Reply: Who said that physics wasn't fun?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.