Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Who said that physics wasn't fun?

Old 04-16-2007, 11:11 AM

Default RE: Who said that physics wasn't fun?

We list our own tests and you say "Read Ashby's reports." You sound like a broken record.
You call what you did a test? That is simply a joke, pure and simple. Ashby is the only one who has done relevant tests with penetration on animals and scientifically recorded the results over a long period of time with hundreds of shots. Yet you want us to believe your attempt at shooting foam is a significant test that overrides his - well it ain't going to happen.

Well, I've beaten this horse enough and it's past dead and decomposed. I'll bow out of this and leave you thinking your fast arrows are just as effective. You can continue to think Ashby is a joke who has discovered nothing with his many tests - with no evidence to the contrary.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow
What kind of dance is that you're doing?
[/quote]

That's a great reply. Keep up the good work. When you finally figure out what you are saying let us know.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

We list our own tests and you say "Read Ashby's reports." You sound like a broken record.
You call what you did a test? That is simply a joke, pure and simple. Ashby is the only one who has done relevant tests with penetration on animals and scientifically recorded the results over a long period of time with hundreds of shots. Yet you want us to believe your attempt at shooting foam is a significant test that overrides his - well it ain't going to happen.

Well, I've beaten this horse enough and it's past dead and decomposed. I'll bow out of this and leave you thinking your fast arrows are just as effective. You can continue to think Ashby is a joke who has discovered nothing with his many tests - with no evidence to the contrary.
hahahahaahhaa

He's all that matters? I never called him a joke. That's your paranoid mind working evidently. You've obviously resorted to the oldest book in the trick for someone that has no footing. You try to degrade someone else to possibly make yourself feel better. How many years of actualy bowhunting experience do you have? Because from reading your posts you must have very little or none.

Ithought I was out of it a long time ago until I read the moronic comments about comapring arrows to bullets.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dave, when it comes right down to it, your test and all other backyard tests shooting arrows at foam blocks are worth about as much as a popcorn fart in a hurricane. There is no comparison with that and the work Ashby has done, on the world's largest, toughest game on two continents.It's too bad his datadon't fit well with the mythology you've come to believe.

You talk about your personal experiences. Maybe you haven't had any problems YET. By the same token, I never believed arrow diameter was worth mentioning in penetration because I've always hunted with big old fat arrows and never had a problem with penetration. I always liked shooting arrows with a healthy FOC too, but never once thought about whether they penetrated better or not. Now I know, because Ashby has done the work.

Point is, just because you or I or a thousand others like ushaven't had problems doesn't mean a hundred thousand other won't have problems using the stuff we do.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

You crack me up.

You have no proof that the heavier arrow is going to do more damage but from one guy's experiment and swallow it whole like it's from God himself. Dead is dead, period. bottom line. End of story.
Actually, the source of the information is irrelevant. Or in other words, even if the source of the information is god, the fact of the matter remains that the laws of physics are the laws of physics. End of story.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

[quote]ORIGINAL: davepjr71

READ ASHBY'S REPORTS!!!!
READ ASHBY'S REPORTS!!!

Why don't you get out and do some testing yourself instead of sitting in the lab relying strictly on someone else's experiments. We list our own tests and you say "Read Ashby's reports." You sound like a broken record.
Testing on what? The next time I have a tag for a foam target I will start to do some testing. In mean time, obtaining MEANINGFUL data - on animals, is a little tough to come by!!
Old 04-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

So, I guess when you consider that, if you're shooting two otherwise identical arrows (same head, same speed, same weight, same friction coefficient on the shaft, same fletchings) - and arrow A is a lincoln log (diameter .5"), while Arrow B is pencil thin (diameter .3") - you're probably going to get better penetration with Arrow B, simply b/c the force is transferred over a smaller surface area.

Yes.

Same goes with broadheads. If you have two identical arrows (same speed, same weight, same fletchings, same diameter, same friction coefficient on the shaft) - and you put a 125 grain muzzy on shaft A,while on shaft B, you put a 125 grain mechanical head with a cutting diameter of 2.75" - you're bound to get much better penetration from arrow A (provided that the blades are the same thickness/sharpness).

Yes.

So, while a KE calculation is nice and handy, there are hiddenpenetration killers lurking (fat shafts, shafts that "drag" more than others once moving through the target, broadhead selection, etc..) Unfortunately, these are things that can't be easily quantified by a quick KE or Momentum calculation. Instead, we resort to field testing.

Yes.

Good post and good discussionthough.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: gators37

There is another item that I am interested in (which was briefly mentioned in some of the previous post)andwill be specific to a particular bow and that is if the bow "transfer to arrow" efficiency is indeed a curve (to a point where the slope changes which should indicate max. efficiency) or does the energy efficiency in the transfer just keep going up as you make the arrow heavier and heavier.
Good question. I'm not sure I'm in a postion to do the question justice. But I can try. Certainly as the mass of the arrow goes up, the effeciency of the bow to transfer energy to the arrow goes up - more energy goes into the motion of the arrow while less to oscillation of the arrow (vibrational energy), sound energy, etc. However there has to be a point of deminishing returns in increasing the mass of the arrow relative to effeciency. At some point the mass of the arrow would be so great that upon releasing the string the inertia of the arrow would propell the bow backwards. The effeciency of that energy transfer might be wonderful, but of no particular value to an archer. I don't really know what the curve for effeciency looks like - but in the best of circumstances, it has to peak at 100%
Old 04-16-2007, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: doublelunginem

Bowhunter44, Thanks for the terminology...it's all coming back to me...lol
So the KE would have to be a parabola since it is the integral of the draw force curve or the area under the curve.

Actually the graph of KE is parabolic because it is a quadratic function (the velocity squared). The integral of the draw force curve (yes the area under the curve) represents the total potential energy stored in the bow at full draw.

Just trying to refresh here, so how would the momentum graph reach a vertex (which we both agree that it must) since it is a linear function. I guess my thoughts are leading me to the fact that in this situation of dealing with bow performance, momentum would have to be graphed in relation to KE. As I stated before, when we get to the vertex of the KE graph, we are dealing with the maximum efficiency of the bow in the test.

Where the maximum effeciency of the bow is realtive to the vertex of the parabola of the KE graph, I honestly don't know. I don't have an intuative feel foreither. Great questions! Arthur, can you help out?

Once this is fixed, velocity decreases exponentially as weight goes up. So would this mean that the graph of the momentum be a " / " with half of an upside down parabola following it and connecting at the highest point?

I doubt it - unfortuantely. I suspect if that were to happen it would be serendipitous and not out of necessity.

The 2nd half would resemble y= 1/x ? Or would it be y = -x? Dude, you ask great questions!!

What I am attepting to prove with out the math proplems or actual test results is that momentum and KE are so closely related that they would maximize at the same point. If infact, velocity is decreasing "exponetially" once the bow has maximized efficiency and KE is maximized, then momentum would have to decrease exponentially at that point as well.

Again, I doubt that is necessairly true. Instead of the decrease of momentum being a graph of P = 1/mv it could be P = -mv, simply a negative slope of the linear momentum graph (P = mv). But again, you ask good (tough to answer) questions.

P.S...I had a physics and chemistry teacher simular to you in HS....he's the one that got me so interested in this stuff. We had a lab every week and it was all real life scenerios. We would spend Monday learning the physics and the rest of the week performing the physics that we learned...Lab report was due by end of class on Friday for a grade. He never taught from a book and never helped with the Labs...you had to listen on Monday very closely and figure it out on your own. He was the BEST DAMN TEACHER I ever had!!!!

Well, I doubt I'm the best damn teacher around. But it sure is nice to hear that some of us do make a difference. Obviously your physics teacher did (make a difference) as your recall of physics is great and you analytical skills are great as well!
Old 04-16-2007, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bow_hunter44

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

You crack me up.

You have no proof that the heavier arrow is going to do more damage but from one guy's experiment and swallow it whole like it's from God himself. Dead is dead, period. bottom line. End of story.
Actually, the source of the information is irrelevant. Or in other words, even if the source of the information is god, the fact of the matter remains that the laws of physics are the laws of physics. End of story.
I never said that the Laws do not apply.I said that you are only taking 1 part of the whole. If you take only 1 part of the whole then keep thinking your narrow minded thoughts. There is much more to it than that as quicksilver and others have stated. I love the way you keep changing around what I say. Classic.

Youkeep saying about me shooting just foam. I actually used sheets of compressed partical board stacked verticaly and compressed with bolts in each corner for the test I performed. And of courseI only shot field tips because the range does not allow broadheads. The foam targets are meant to use friction to slow the arrow down as quick as possible.

By the way quicksilver says that field testing is all we have and you agree? You just said that our field testing is all crap and Ashby is all that matters.

Quick Reply: Who said that physics wasn't fun?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.