Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Who said that physics wasn't fun?

Old 04-13-2007, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Who said that physics wasn't fun?

2different bows,2 different energy sources.Apples to Oranges

For real world comparison,shoot a tuned,heavy arrow and compare it to a tuned light arrow out of the same bow.Apples to apples.

I have shown you the chart.I assure you that it is accurate.I set all my sights up to this program(pin gap).I rarely set pins in the yard anymore.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

One more thing,if your arrow was shooting 20 fps faster,I assure you that spine was off somewhere.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

[/quote]

Although it makes a lot of sense to me and a lot of others, trust me, it's not irrefutable to everyone.
[/quote]

Obviously not!! I don't suppose the work done by Dr. Ashby is perfect. But then again, once upon a time the best theory available was that the world was flat. Until a better theory came along, it seems like the reasonable theory to subscribe to. Likewise to Dr. Ashby's work, until something better comes along it seems like a reasonabletheory (although the use of the word theory is out of context in this case) to subscribe to.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tfox, spine of the arrow was fine for both bows. One was just a faster bow. Granted they are two different bows with different amounts of stored energy, but the fact remains that it is the same weight arrow at two different velocities and trajectories were way different. Both bows were tuned and had great arrow flight. The amount of stored energy is irrelevent, the fact that it was two different bows shouldnt much matter either. All else being equal the two major contibuters to trajectory are speed and weight. With a 20fps loss in speed itmade a heck of a difference in trajectory for that arrow. So if I were shooting the same bow, wouldnt a loss in 20fps of arrow speed be a comparable loss in trajectory or possibly more because of the increased arrow weight to do so.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

The energy is the ONLY thing that is relevant when comparing trajectory.What do you think makes it fly? You transfer energy from the bow to the arrow.

Do the test that Arthur suggest and then try the miss difference test.Shoot your bow as is for 40 yards at 45.Then set up a 460 grain arrow and then do the same.I believe there will beLESS than a 2" difference with a 100 gr difference in arrow weight.

The only way spine was ok for both is if the arrow was slightly stiff for one and slightly weak for the other.This is definately possible.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

well according to goldtips chart it was fine for both. Same arrow length and draw weight. I know what your saying TFOX energy is what makes the speed.Am I correct in saying 20fps is 20fps regardless of what bow or how much stored energy that bow has or how heavy of an arrow it is, if its flying 20fps slower its going to drop considerably faster.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

NO

Compare the ke of the 2.This is where the ke is relavant.

From 2 different bows,you go from an arrow with 76.8 ft/lb's ke to 67.2 ft/lb's ke with the same arrow.Apples to oranges.

Same bow changing 20 fps with 2 different arrows will only change the ke by 2 ft/lb's and the heavier arrow will have more and that will help with trajectory.Apples to apples.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ha thanks, you just made me feel pretty stupid. I knew that just had a bid damn brain fart.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

But I will say this, regardless of how much increase or decrease in trajectoy arrow weight causes. The lighter arrow will still shoot flatter, maybe only a couple of inches but bowhunting is a matter of inches.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do we need to get into how momentum affects trajectory.

Come on Arthur,push us to 30.[8D]

Quick Reply: Who said that physics wasn't fun?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.