Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Who said that physics wasn't fun?

Old 04-05-2007, 01:33 PM

Default RE: Who said that physics wasn't fun?

Straightarrow

It's nieve to think that anti's could not find a forum like this. But then state that they pay attention to the weight of the arrow a person used to shoot a deer.
I never said either.

These things need to be taken into consideration before someone states that a heavy arrow is the only way to go because of momentum.
How can what we're saying be so misinterpreted? Several times, the heavy weight crowd has stated that, "light arrows can work". It's just that heavy is better, especially for the guy who doesn't know much about tuning his bow or arrows, or who might not make the perfect shot every time. To suggest that unprepared hunters don't exist or that we can eliminate them would the naive statement.

So many appear to be against regulations. Well all states regulate weapons and I'm glad they do. I don't like the idea of guys shooting .22 cal pistols for deer hunting. Or, someone use field tips while hunting big game. To suggest that people should make those decisions for themselves is another naive thought. Should people be allowed to hunt with a 15 lb draw bow? How about a broadhead that is only 1/2" in diameter? Or, maybe one that is 5" in diameter. What's the difference? We all know that hunters will do what's right with no regualtions at all.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:39 PM

Dr Ashby has quantified it, at least for Asian Buffalo. He selected this species because it is on of the tougher animals to kill in the world and large numbers of them are culled in his area. His research is based on many years and hundreds of archery kills on these buffalo.
People might find it interesting to know that Dr. Ashby is adament about the importance and advantage of using heavy arrows, even on smaller animals like whitetails. Ashby would also consider a 500-600 grain arrow to be on the light side. Certainly, you'd be more than just a bit lucky to kill a water buffalo with one. If you decide to study his results, notice that the difference in penetration with heavy vs light, isn't a small one. In some cases the advantage of the heavy weight arrow is extreme.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

[. If you're expecting to see any of this on an anti-hunting poster, be prepared for a long wait.
You didn't say this?
Old 04-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: bow_hunter44

Oh puhleeze... mometum is in the x and y coordinate?? Say what? A projectile travels in an arc, called a parabola. The path of a parabola can be depicted on an coordiante plane, using x and y coordinates. I know that sounds condesending, only because it is.

Velocity is a vector quantity. Since momentum is the product of a scalar quantity (mass) and a vector quantity (velocity) it to is a vector quanity. The same argument can be made about kinetic energy.

Momentum is a vector quantity. However, most text books work in a vacuum and tell you to ignore the effects of gravity and the angle

Arthur
I always thought velocity was scalar and momentum was a vector(?).

You are correct sir.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AllenRead

davepjr71,

Your last post leads me to believe that you haven't read Dr Ashby's work.

Check this link and be ready for some really techincal reading:

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=24

You can also read a shorter synopsis in the most recent Traditional Bowhunter magazine.

Dr Ashby has quantified it, at least for Asian Buffalo. He selected this species because it is on of the tougher animals to kill in the world and large numbers of them are culled in his area. His research is based on many years and hundreds of archery kills on these buffalo.

Many of us may be overreacting to the data collected on buffalo and assuming that it applies to whitetail deer. However, I look at it that if a certain setup with heavy arrows will penetrate the ribs on one side of one of those critters, it will definitely take out any deer around here.

I want the margin of lethality that a heavy arrow provides. Obviously almost any arrow will take a whitetail with sufficient KE and good arrow placement. Unfortunately, I have a very short draw length and the fastest my arrows will be is about 260 fps even with 5 grains per pound arrows. If 12 to 14 grain per pound arrows can give me better lethality, I'm going to use them.
Interesting read. However, I'd like to see the same test done with modern equipment thatdoes not have a top velocity of about 130 fps.

This falls back to taking a good hot and practicing and even about my statement that someone reads one article and it's the gospil.

Even if an arrow does not pass thru game if it hits it in the boiler it's just as dead. IfI was going to hunt game larger than deer than I may rethink. But not for deer.

P.S. I read more technical data on a daily basis.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Trying to enforce a 400 grain minimum arrow weight just to help prevent the ignorant, unexperienced people who are out there flinging arrows at deer wont help a bit. Thats like trying to enforce a rule saying you cant hunt big game with a rifle less than 30 caliber. A smaller caliber rifle, just like an arrow weighing less than 400 grains kills animals just fine. Its the person behind the weapon we have to worry about. Instead of being all hot to trot to place a minimum weight on arrows and dismissing all of us who prefer shooting a lighter arrow, you should purpose a manditory bowhunting school before one can purchase an archery license. There are already rules that have been set to follow as far as requirments for weapons. It has never been the weapon, but the shooter who gives those of us who love the sport of hunting more than anything a bad name. Animals all across north america have been killed by recurves and long bows producing less energy and penetration capabilities than our modern compounds do. With that being said, today bows regardless of arrow weights are more than capable of doing the job. Its the so called archers behind the bows we need to worry about ARTHER P. Not the arrow weights.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

"http://www.youtube.com/v/NzlG28B-R8Y"></param><param "http://www.youtube.com/v/NzlG28B-R8Y"

[8D]
Old 04-05-2007, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

nice link TFOX
Old 04-05-2007, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

passthru,

That's what I've been trying to say. Unfortunetly I'm long winded. If people would practice more and stop trying to find short cuts there would be no need for this post.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

I must be nieve. I thought all states required completion of an archery/bow hunting course before issuing an archery tag!! The two that I have lived in do... That should be a requirement with no exception!

Quick Reply: Who said that physics wasn't fun?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.