Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

bow presses

Old 03-29-2007, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default bow presses

Anyone have hands on experience with the ratchet-lok bow press?The price looks good but i don't want something that "might" work.WWAG,how much for the BOWMENDER?
Old 03-29-2007, 08:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: bow presses

Just buying a bow press isn't as simple as it once was. With these parallel limb bows the rest or add ons have become critical. Press manufacturers have had to make add on arms to fit the new bows and add hydralic lean pumps etc etc. It is very easy to damage a bow with a press. I'd talk to the tech department of your manufacturer and ask them. If they say no, ask them what then? Take my Guardian. BOwtech wants the pressure applied to the tips of the limbs, not with the old rollers that push in the middle of the limb. Len came up with a L shaped device to slide into the apple presses to apply that pressure even and constant. Apple bought it and now makes them. IF you use the old rollers you'll eventually screw something up. Apple now retains Len as a consultant. He's designed a2 or 3 otherethings for them.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Id be leary about using a ratchet bow press. Like any ratchet strap. You just push in the bar to release tension. Which means that the re-loading would happen in a hurry and if the strings are not aligned properly could cause a problem. It would be like pulling back on a branch and then letting it go.

I use a Bowmaster and even though you have to use a socket wrench to tighten down on the cable. You can reloadthe bow strings and cable slowly and in a controlled manner.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's what i was wondering--if the thing just lets go when release the tension,and it sounds like a pain to boot!I thought LEN was talking about gimps press and was impressed by it?I have an older apple press and i'm thinking about cutting it apart and making modifications to it by changing the angle of the arms and then adding the bottle jack but i'm leary of using my bow as the guinea pig.Hey,anyone want to loan me their bow so i can try it out
Old 03-29-2007, 02:04 PM

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

Id be leary about using a ratchet bow press. Like any ratchet strap. You just push in the bar to release tension. Which means that the re-loading would happen in a hurry and if the strings are not aligned properly could cause a problem. It would be like pulling back on a branch and then letting it go.

I use a Bowmaster and even though you have to use a socket wrench to tighten down on the cable. You can reloadthe bow strings and cable slowly and in a controlled manner.

Here's the way to back down a ratchet strap, just like a boat winch

http://media.putfile.com/Bow-Press-How-To