Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How to take that 'buzz' out of a MZE.

Old 12-13-2002, 10:42 AM

Default How to take that 'buzz' out of a MZE.

I had heard of some people having a 'buzz' in their MZE that they couldn't find. Until yesterday, I had never seen this problem. The old style turnbuckle and sleeve had a very tight fit. The new design, however, goes together much easier but has more tolerance. If you get the turnbuckle and the sleeve at opposite ends of the tolerance spectrum, noise (a buzz) can be detected in the loose fit.

A quick way to fix this problem is to put electrical tape or Teflon tape around the threads of the turnbuckle sleeve. One wrap of the electrical tape or about two wraps of the Teflon tape ought to totally alleviate the problem.

Good shooting.

Old 12-13-2002, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How to take that 'buzz' out of a MZE.

Great idea, Len. I did something similar when I cut it a little short, and had a little too much play. I put a teflon nut on the thread, and snugged it down, like a locknut, against the sleeve. Worked great. Since then I bought a new sleeve and left it as long as I could.
How are you holding up? I hope you're recovering well. I noticed you weren't on the boards much lately, but I haven't been either. I guess you've been in the woods. I'll stop by your shop when I get the chance.
Good luck, and thanks again for the tip.
Charlie

Become one with nature...then grill it.
Old 12-13-2002, 04:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Len,
I have also found another "Buzz" location on the ZE......Where the turnbuckle sleeve attaches to the cable slide on 2 different rests I've installed there is a small (maybe a 1 /32&quot gap between the edge of the sleeve and the set screw.
On both occaisons a small stainless washer between the sleeve and the slide filled this gap perfectly and turned a noisy rest to almsot silent.
Check to make sure there is no "Play" in this connection.
Old 12-13-2002, 06:15 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-13-2002, 06:25 PM

Matt and 3dmo: Right on! I have been doing that almost 'subconsciously' and never thought to report it. You can also file down the threaded stem off the cable slide to get it perfect. Usually, like 3dmo, I try to use axle shims.

Old 12-13-2002, 07:31 PM

<font color=maroon>Thanx guys for those tips! I have noticed since Muzzy sent me the new cable slides, they seem to make more noise upon the shot. I don't have any of the Simms cable thingees to try them out but does anyone notice this as well? I will check the above mentioned items to make sure they are not contributing to it.</font id=maroon>