Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Optimum Speed

Old 03-26-2007, 01:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default Optimum Speed

Anyone have an opinion on what the minimum speed or speed range needs to be to fly a fixed blade broadhead? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Optimum Speed

I wouldn't sday there is anything such as a minimum speed. Traditional archers shoot them with speeds of 150 fps or sometimes less. There is a practical maximum speed for most heads, that being somewhere around 260 fps to 280 fps. You could probably push to 300 fps or so if you pick the right design of head and really know how to super tune the bow.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

Considering that stone arrowheads have been around thousands of years, I guess they would qualify as the first "fixed blade" broadhead.

There really isn't a minimum speed for them. Check your state laws for minimum draw poundage for hunting with a hand-held bow. Keep the blades sharp and with good shot placement they will work fine.

As far as mechanicals, many manufacturers quote a minimum amount of kenetic energy vs. a minimum speed. You could have a 40# bow shooting ultra-light arrows going the same speed as a 70# bow with big heavy hunting arrows. The 70# will have a MUCH higher KE amount.

To open mechanical blades- ittakes work in the physical sense. Work requires energy. Many mech heads have a suggested minimum KE rating of around 55ft-lbs of KE.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:43 PM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't shoot a fixed blade that fast. I tried to shoot all different ones but when your bow gets that high in fps any little problem is glaring. I can hit vitals 3/3 arrows with my mechanicals from 60yrds I tried using muzzy's and couldnt stay accurate after 30 yrds. I tried tunning them too and couldnt get it to work with the help of the proshop guy. P.S. and where I hunt I do need 50yd shots that is another post that we will not get into.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't like to push much over 260 fps with a fixed head. I have opportunities in the 50 yard range often out in the desert. 260 fps is plenty.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:05 AM

Minimum speed - don't worry about this.

Maximum speed with a broadhead? In my opinion, there is no maximum speed either. Your arrow only needs to follow a few basic rules and it will fly perfectly, no matter how fast. You need a spine that is stiff enough for the draw weight, draw length and arrow length. You need enough weight up front to give a reasonalble good FOC. I'd shoot for a minimum of 12-15%. You also need good drag on the rear - helical feathers are a good example here. If you can get such an arrow to fly at 400 fps, I'll all but guarantee it will fly great. The problem is always getting the proper spec'd arrow to go that fast. With current bow and arrow technology, I doubt you could design an arrow that would meet this criteria and find a bow capable of sending it at more than 270-280 fps.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:04 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys for the input!
Old 03-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's an article in Peterson's Bowhunting about this topic. He did the same thing 10 years ago and said it was 260 fps. However, he said with modern equipment and such that 280 fps is the max. However, how well everything is tuned is ultimately the answer. That's surpising about the Muzzy comment. There are plenty of people that have no problems with Muzzy and I'm sure shoot them at 280 fps or faster.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:57 PM

Slow well fetched arrows are not a big deal, actually prefered. However like said, when you get to the faster arrows they can be tricky to tune. Not that it can't be done, they are just not as forgiving.

I honestly think most of the problems with fixed blades and high speeds has more to do with arrows not having enough FOC or enough fletching to control well in flight. Or maybe spine issues as well.

Paul