Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

speed vs arrow weight

Old 03-24-2007, 05:12 PM

Default RE: speed vs arrow weight

That is a light arrow in my opinion. Darn near IBO weight. I shoot over 400 grn arrows with 60 lbs of draw weight and 26 inches of draw length.

Paul
Old 03-24-2007, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah I do nt know of any arrows lighter with enough spine for my setup, but I bet there are. He might have been talking with referance to target shooting since this proshope has and indoor range.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:11 AM

Is this a hunting setup? If so, I'd consider a 350 gr arrow with broadhead to be a nightmare out of a 70 lb compound.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

Is this a hunting setup? If so, I'd consider a 350 gr arrow with broadhead to be a nightmare out of a 70 lb compound.
My setup is a hunting setup but I shoot the "bowhunter" class in 3D shoots. I'm really just trying to get a flat trajectory because I suck at estimating yardage.

I shot a 438 yesterday at a 3D shoot, my first ever attempt, and had a miss. The targets were supposedly all within 20-35yds. I have a 20yd pin and one setup at 35yds. I had my 35yd pin on the high side of the 11 ring and missed low.

The 2nd guy (group of 7) also hit WAY low but scored. Everyone else adjusted and scored. There is no way that target was 35yds. It was no less than 40+. It was across a dry creek bed and was tough to estimate by eye.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just picked up a half dozen 28" CX 3D SELECTS 300 and they weigh 391 grains (8.1gpi)with a 125 gr point. The owner of the archery store shoots the same arrow, but shorter length and lighter fixed blade broadheads, same bow,and has no problems what so ever and has been shooting that set-up for years.I'd guess his weight at 350 gr.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:17 AM

My setup is a hunting setup but I shoot the "bowhunter" class in 3D shoots. I'm really just trying to get a flat trajectory because I suck at estimating yardage.
Maybe I should have asked - do you actually hunt with this setup? In my opinion, the ideal setup required to do well in 3d, is diametrically opposed to a proper setup for hunting. While hunting, you should not have to judge distances. You should know them. Use a rangefinder or mark yardages at your stands and you should know your distances. Besides, how far past 20 yards are you shooting at live animals?

A good hunting arrow is one that flys true with a broadhead and gives great penetration, even when shot in less than ideal conditions or on less than perfect hits. This is not the type of arrow being shot in 3d competitons.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Primitive Weapon

What is a good arrow/fletching/nock/etc combo to reach the 350gr weight and retain good balance on the arrow?

My CE Maxima arrows are 368gr with a 100gr tip......guess I could try to find an 80gr tip. Not sure what that'd do to the balance/flight of the arrow though.
You sound like your trying to figure out how to get closer to the "Advertised" speed of that Guardian, but it ain't likely to happen. And I'll doubt you achieve the BC speed either. I'd recommend setting it up the way it is "supposed" to be, using an arrow with an appropriate spine, and getting the FOC correct, and enjoying the bow, while not really worrying as much about the FPS.

Making adjustments that gain 5-10 FPS aren't going to change your trajectory that much, but may affect your bow as lightening the arrow results in a more traumatic recoil in the cams and limbs. As for setting sight pins @ 20 and 35yds, I found that with my set-up shooting mid 260's, I like 24yds, 32yds, 40yds, 48yds, and 56yds (There's a reason they allow 5 pins in that class!!!! You might as well get some good use out of them.). The 8 yd increments seem to put me in a position where I cannot miss SO far off that I don't still end up with a kill shot on whitetail sized game. This is how I set my bow up for hunting, and I use it the same way for 3D.