Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

MeanV2?

Old 03-22-2007, 11:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: MeanV2?

From a pure decible-meter reading, I would think it would. I think the biggest change in "sound" is the actual kind of sound-- as it goes from a "twang" to a "thump"; I think that's the biggest difference where people take some time getting used to when discussing its sound.

Personally, I feel a dull thud or thump is more appealing on my hunting rig than a twang. Add in the inherent advantages of it not allowing the sting to slap my bulky sleeves on hunting clothes in cold-weather conditions, and that many people claim a "cleaner" release and actually having picked up several fps because the string is not allowed to go beyond brace and "pull" at the arrow as it comes off the string, and I think it's a viable product.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guys, I have a genuine question. MyDrenalin has a bit of a thrum when it's fired, and I could probably fix it with a couple of things (heavier arrow, lighter poundage, STS, etc). Won't even the quietest bow make enough noise when fired in the quiet woods to be heard by a deer, though? I've heard some bows at a range that sounded like someone threw a pot in a sink full of dishes, and I understand you wouldn't want to hunt with that. The deer would probably jump straight in the air. I don't know how to determine how loud is too loud. Is the objective to not have a deer hear the shot, and is that even possible?
Old 03-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

Guys, I have a genuine question. MyDrenalin has a bit of a thrum when it's fired, and I could probably fix it with a couple of things (heavier arrow, lighter poundage, STS, etc). Won't even the quietest bow make enough noise when fired in the quiet woods to be heard by a deer, though? I've heard some bows at a range that sounded like someone threw a pot in a sink full of dishes, and I understand you wouldn't want to hunt with that. The deer would probably jump straight in the air. I don't know how to determine how loud is too loud. Is the objective to not have a deer hear the shot, and is that even possible?
Will all bows create a sound when shot? Yes, even the mighty Guardian has some noise, but the deer is more likely to hear the arrow than the bow with how quiet today's bows are.

Is it possible to not have the deer hear the shot? I don't know. The best way to guage your set up is to go down range and behind the safety of some bales have someone shoot your bow and see what you hear. That way you can work on quieting down your bow and experiment with arrow/fletching/broadhead combinations to get the quietest set up.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

I want to look at these things online where is a good place to look I cant find anything about them
Old 03-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here ya go... It's only got 58,000 page views

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=338928
Old 03-24-2007, 09:37 PM

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

Won't even the quietest bow make enough noise when fired in the quiet woods to be heard by a deer, though?.... I don't know how to determine how loud is too loud. Is the objective to not have a deer hear the shot, and is that even possible?
A deer's nose gets all the publicity and I have read only a few articles covering their hearing. From what I remember reading their hearing is a little better than a human's , it's thatradar dish earthat gives them the ability to pinpoint the origin of a sound. I would suppose that based one the shape of their ear and the size, they can pick up more sound waves.

I've tried the down range sound check w/ a couple of my bows in the past. Outdoors, it's really hard to hear at 20 yards. I will say that the weather plays a big role.If there is just a little breeze, I heard nothing.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:01 PM

I gotone of Mean V's CSS for my Tribute. I was at the pro shop a couple of weeks ago, & a guy next to me was shooting an identical bow. Same stabilizer, leeches, & rest. He commented that my bow was much quieter than the one he was shooting. There's all the proof I need. I noticed it also, after I put it on. I am glad that i listened to those that recommended it on an earlier thread. Try it out, I'm sure you spend $$ on accessories & find out that u want to change it out some time. It's money well spent.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ordered and paid for it yesterday. He said he's running 2 to 3 weeks on delivery so I'll just be patient.