Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bullet holes

Old 03-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Host of Hosts

Default Bullet holes

Anyone have a few pics of what good and bad bullet holes look like? I shot into paper today at 6 feet...12 feet and about 20 feet. As I moved back my holes got better, but not sure if they are perfect.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bullet holes

These are very good but not "perfect"

But this is on a bow that I tuned in the yard to me and this is the tear afterward,I did not paper tune,I walk back tuned,bare shafted(checked in paper without fletching to check spine)and group tuned.

Here is a link to the methods I used.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2020182
Old 03-12-2007, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

TFox,

They look like the bow is pretty close. Looks like maybe a little nock low and a right tear, but as you said, "Not perfect but close". Whatever you need to do it's very little.

Because I use a blade launcher I usually look for a slightly high/left tear. Maybe 1/4" to 1/2". Of course I don't paper tune at all. Bare shaft, walk-back, etc. The paper shots I take are usually to satisfy somebody who asks why I don't paper tune. In reality I don't really care how the arrow shoots at 3, 6, or 15'. I don't shoot anything that close. Down range is where the action is.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:21 AM

TFOX,
If this is a walkback and group tune, then the paper results don't need to be perfect??? I am more concerned w/ bh flight matching fp's when it comes right down to it.
I am getting a perfect tear from both my bows but haven't walk back tuned them yet. Am I to assume settings will change?
Old 03-12-2007, 09:07 AM

ORIGINAL: archer58

TFOX,
If this is a walkback and group tune, then the paper results don't need to be perfect??? I am more concerned w/ bh flight matching fp's when it comes right down to it.
I am getting a perfect tear from both my bows but haven't walk back tuned them yet. Am I to assume settings will change?
You never know until you try
Old 03-12-2007, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'll never understand the not concerned about paper tear theory.......especially if you are shooting broadheads. Why would you NOT want the tip in front of the tail as much as you can possibly tune?

Even with field or target points if the arrow is coming off with a tear in any direction the second you have another outside influence such as inconsistent spine or fletching variation IMO you are going to get a more pronounced POI affect and flyers....especially with fixed blade broadheads.

How can you expect something that is basically coming off at an angle to be inherently accurate especially when you basically add "wings" to the front of your arrow in the case of fixed blade heads?

I saw it this summer testing all sorts of these new short "field point accurate" fixed blade heads......I wanted to see what they would do on a bow that was group tuned but had a poor paper tear. Some of these were downright HORRIBLE for consistent flight until I got it tuned to shoot bullet holes. One brand looked like I was throwing wiffle balls.........Once I corrected the tears it brought all the heads right in where they belong.

I still group tune and occaisionally walk back but I start with paper everytime after I set everything to proper center shot and height. I consider it a waste fo time to go right to the other 2 if the arrows are tearing like crap.......
I've been doing it like this forever and my results are pretty decent.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:28 PM
Host of Hosts

Not sure how good these pics will show up but here are my results.
First picture the 3 holes on theright from 6 feet the 3 on theleft from 12 feet. The last picture is all from 20 feet.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

As an afterthought,I checked broadheads at 30 yards and I was hitting inside the same 1 1/2" circle with broadheads as I was with fieldpoints.

The #2 tear is the final tear after the final group tune.

I use mechanicals by choice so I am thinking this is a real good tune.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:59 PM

ORIGINAL: TRYKONOISSEUR

Not sure how good these pics will show up but here are my results.
First picture the 3 holes on theright from 6 feet the 3 on theleft from 12 feet. The last picture is all from 20 feet.

could it be possible that you are catching the arrow at an opportune time inthe paradox?try shooting from between 12 and 20 feet and farther than 20 feet and see what happens.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:34 PM

I'm not sure paper tuning beyond ten or twelve feet is going to tell you much. It's the tears in the 4' to 6' range that seem to be most meaningful.

Quick Reply: Bullet holes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.