Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bullet holes

Old 03-12-2007, 08:07 PM

Default RE: Bullet holes

ORIGINAL: TRYKONOISSEUR

Not sure how good these pics will show up but here are my results.
First picture the 3 holes on theright from 6 feet the 3 on theleft from 12 feet. The last picture is all from 20 feet.

I may not be an expert here but I believe that the6 ft. tears are showing a nock low and the rest needing to be moved to the left. Very minor movement in each case. The12 ft tears get better as stabalization occurs.The 20 ft tears are after the arrow has stabalized. They look great.
I think a little adjustment is needed. My $.02
Old 03-13-2007, 03:09 AM

I'll never understand the not concerned about paper tear theory.......especially if you are shooting broadheads. Why would you NOT want the tip in front of the tail as much as you can possibly tune?
Matt, I'll give you my opinion on this. No matter what I get when I paper tune, I never trust it completely. Was I at the right distance to get the most important reading? I alway walk-back and group tune to fine tune anything I might get from paper. After I'm grouped tuned, I don't care what the paper says. What can be better than field tested, perfect center shot and nock height?

I've seen guys spend 2 hours paper tuning their bows, only to walk-back and group tune afterwards. What sense did that 2 hours make? How can someone worry about was a tear in paper looks like and not care how the arrow performs in the field with a broadhead attached? If you do the field tuning, the paper tuning doesn't serve much purpose.

I find paper tuning to be most useful when testing cam syncronization on two cam bows or when looking to see how much an archer may be torquing a bow. When I set up a bow (by eye), I can almost guarantee it won't have more than a 1/2" tear, without any adjustments at all. This hold true as long as the shooter is not applying excess torque and the arrow spine is correct. In general, it'll be close enough to go straight to walk-back and group tuning. Tuning for that perfect paper tear, makes no sense to me.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:21 PM
Host of Hosts

Thanks Archer58
Old 03-13-2007, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

I am finger shooter; should I expect bullet holes when I paper tune?
Old 03-13-2007, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fishpoint, you can get great holes when shooting fingers.

But as mentioned above, it doesn't tell the whole story.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

I'm not sure paper tuning beyond ten or twelve feet is going to tell you much. It's the tears in the 4' to 6' range that seem to be most meaningful.
100% correct. tuning beyond about 6 feet is pointless. the farther the arrow flies the more it has opportunity to stabilize itself. perfect bullet holes at 20 feet are worthless IMO and is telling you nothing about arrow flight.