Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Front OF Center

Old 03-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Front OF Center

Straightarrow, in the first place no arrow is going to be able to penetrate a cape buffalo's rib.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: archer 2

Straightarrow, in the first place no arrow is going to be able to penetrate a cape buffalo's rib.

So the one's that hunt them are depending on luck not to hit a rib.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:34 AM

ORIGINAL: archer 2

LOL, not the typical puny 400 gr arrow with a 10% FOC being shot at a whitetail - not a chance on a cape buffalo rib. However, an 800 gr arrow with a 28% FOC, now that's another story. Dr. Ashby has dozens of veryified hits with these passing through after hitting ribs on both sides of the buffalo. Height weight and high FOC makes a huge difference on penetration.
430gr arrow at 10% foc (125gr fixed) traveling at 271fps =70lbs of ke.My brhd's & fieldtips have same poi to 60yds.
This is not enuff for the biggest bear? Geuss again.

I'll guess that on a perfect hit, you'll be okay. On a less than perfect hit, be prepared to run like a deer. Heck, why do thing think it's illegal to use such a light arrow on griz? It ain't because it's such a lethal combination. It's because it's performance regarding penetration sucks when compared to a properly designed arrow for really large game.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:38 PM
Spike

Where is it illegal to use a 430gr arrow on griz?
Old 03-12-2007, 03:22 AM

Sorry, my mistake. A few years ago, there was a proposal to make the minimum gr arrow used for Moose or Bear in Alaska , something in the 800 grain area. I thought that it had passed. I just checked, and it did not.

I do know that there are many guides in both Alaska and Africa that will not take a customer with such light arrows. Many demand fixed blade broadheads and heavier arrows. They've witnessed hundreds of these huge animals, shot by arrows and they know what works.

Really, just read Dr. Ashby's reports. Many of his hundreds of observed kills are on water buffalo, which are huge - ribs like 2x4's. He records the details about each kill. He's been doing this for many years. After reading his studies, it's easy to see the superiority of heavy arrows with very high FOC.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

Sorry, my mistake. A few years ago, there was a proposal to make the minimum gr arrow used for Moose or Bear in Alaska , something in the 800 grain area. I thought that it had passed. I just checked, and it did not.

I do know that there are many guides in both Alaska and Africa that will not take a customer with such light arrows. Many demand fixed blade broadheads and heavier arrows. They've witnessed hundreds of these huge animals, shot by arrows and they know what works.

Really, just read Dr. Ashby's reports. Many of his hundreds of observed kills are on water buffalo, which are huge - ribs like 2x4's. He records the details about each kill. He's been doing this for many years. After reading his studies, it's easy to see the superiority of heavy arrows with very high FOC.
I know some people who've hunted there with a bow and they weren't using a 70# bow either. One guy went his first time with a bow at justover 80. Hit an elephant just a hair forward at 25 yrds. Hit the shoulder bone. The bull reached back and pulled the shaft out. They searched for a couple days to find it, never did. Still cost him $17,000. I don't think the foc has as much to do with it, as an arrow with weight, a bow to through it and a guy that can pullone.

The same guy has been back several times and hasbeen very sucsessful. His taxadermy billis enormous. Some guyshave it.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

One guy went his first time with a bow at justover 80. Hit an elephant just a hair forward at 25 yrds. Hit the shoulder bone. The bull reached back and pulled the shaft out. They searched for a couple days to find it, never did. Still cost him $17,000.
That's really something in itself.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:00 AM

I don't think the foc has as much to do with it, as an arrow with weight, a bow to through it and a guy that can pull one
No doubt, there are a number of important factors, and FOC is a big one. However, when we're talking about elephants, I don't think there is a bow or arrow combination that could be considered effective on an elephant. From what I hear, you either hit between the ribs and hit the heart, or forget it. Kind of like shooting a whitetail with a 10 gr dart and expecting to kill it.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:02 PM
Typical Buck

TFox , have you ever looked at the way the rib cage of a Cape buffalo is formed. The ribs overlap so a broadside shot is NOT going to get through the rib. You take a quartering away shot to be able for your arrow to get between or slide off of a rib and get into the vitals.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

But you said no arrow,it is proven to be done and with a heavy ,high foc arrow.

I believe Ihave seen them shot and killed on tv with a completely broadside shot(if memory serves).We don't always see what is "the best" on tv though.

You are probably correct with the best way to shoot them,I am not an Africangame hunter.[8D]

I am not a heavy arrow guy but when it comes to busting bone,you must haveHIGH momentum and high foc.

Quick Reply: Front OF Center

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.