Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Blue fiber optics

Old 12-10-2002, 01:48 PM

Default Blue fiber optics

I posted this on the hunting forum. Have any of you tried a blue or violet fiber? I was wondering how well they show up. I don't see red very well and would like to change out the reds on my Trophy Ridge Flatliner for either green(which I know I see well) or blue/violet. I remember a discussion a long while back about this but I don't remember the general feeling about it.

The most important bloodtrail leads right to the foot of the cross
Old 12-10-2002, 05:36 PM

Default RE: Blue fiber optics

Can you get blue fiber optics. I was thinking the same thing this year I have a really hard time seeing red especially when it gets dim even on overcast days when I'm in the dark timber. I think blue would show up better. I do use two green and two yellow. The yellow is brighter but there is not enough contrast. I find myself still counting down my pins.
Old 12-11-2002, 05:49 AM

Here's a link to a place you can buy them. They list them as violet. I have seen blue somewhere, but I will have to research.

http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/da...uorescentfiber

Old 12-11-2002, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

The consensus on another board was the blue was hard to see for most people. Although few thought they could see it better. You probably will have to give it a try to see.

Old 12-11-2002, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

An easy trick to tell if blue is right for you is to drive around and look at christmas lights. Many have red, green and yellow, which you can easily see. Some have blue, which for me is very difficult to see and doesn't light up their yard to the level of the others, perhaps an indication that blue light doesn't light up as well?

Old 12-11-2002, 09:34 AM
CG

FWIW, HAve you ever noticed that all night vision equipment is green tinted when you look through them? Well, after millions of your tax dollars were spent researching it, the military discovered that green is the easiest color for the eye to detect in low light settings w/ out destroying your low light natural vision. Just a bit of trivia for you all.

"What we do in this life echos an eternity"
Old 12-12-2002, 08:52 AM

I am a former Marine sniper and have a good deal of knowledge about optics, nightvision, and just overall operating in low and no light conditions. You do not want blue or red. Both of these colors are actually harder to see in the dark/low light. We intentionally use red or blue lenses on flashlights to read maps or work radios so that a potential enemy or patrol can not see it from a distance. Green is really the only good option in low light. I have thought about the yellow too but have not seen it in action myself. What I have done temporarily is move my red pin to a 30 yard pin. My reasoning is that as low light approaches i will not shoot 30 yard shots but still could shoot 20 or less and that where my green is. The permanent solution will be to buy a new bow in the 330 fps range and shoot 1 green pin for hunting. Anyway IMO stay away from red or blue for low light.

Old 12-12-2002, 10:32 AM

Thanks for all your help. I will stick with the 3' of green fiber I already have. I might re-do all of the pins and make my 20, 30 and 40 yd pins green and make the 25 and 35 yd pins amber. The amber shows up really well, btw, probably because the length of fiber to gather light is like 7.5" or so.