Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Need help selecting Easton alumunum arrow

Old 03-03-2007, 08:18 AM
Spike

Default Need help selecting Easton alumunum arrow

I need help selecting which Easton aluminum arrow to buy. Stopped by the local sporting goods store last night and read the boxes. They only had about 3 different types, the Easton site must list a hundred different combos. I think what they had that was closest to what I need was the "Easton Fall Stalker 2117" - they had those in stock.

Here is what I have now - Bowtech Tom-Kat, 50-60 pounds, I think that is one hard cam on the Easton chart. My current arrows are 28.5" long CX300 arrows but am looking for a cheaper aluminum arrow for turkey and squirrel hunting. I have 100 grain broadheads.

Thanks for the help! The Easton charts are hard to understand.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need help selecting Easton alumunum arrow

I'me VERY curious as to why in the world you would want to walk away from CX 300's for ANY Easton alums??? I honestly believe it isn't the best choice by any stratech of the imagination. I'd stay with the incredibly consistent CX's. Either way, good luck and good shootin'
Old 03-03-2007, 09:01 AM

Need to know exactly what poundage you shoot and your AMO draw length. I personally prefer aluminum arrows myself. Even the cheap ones are more consistant than most carbons right of the box.

Keep in mind if you change arrows you will have to re tune your bow. The change in arrow diameter will at least require you to change your nocking point. If this is not something you want to mess with I would stick with the arrows you have. And those 2117's (if that is the correct arrow for your bow) will be considerably heavier than your current carbons.

Also if you are going to shoot at turkeys and squirrels on the ground I would suggest sticking with a carbon anyway. That is thier one advantage, they are pretty tough. 2117's are a pretty hardy arrow because of the thick wall, but a carbon will probably fair better with that kind of work. Just remember to check them REALLY good after every shot for cracks damage. I would also rather have a lighter faster arrow for that kind of game as well. You really don't need the extra momentum a heavy arrow will give you.

I can't suggest anything without knowing the exact draw length and draw weight of your bow though.

Paul
Old 03-03-2007, 11:11 AM

According to my chart, the 2117 should be about right for a 55 lb bow with a 29" draw length and 100 gr. points. But they have fairly thin walls and dent pretty easily. Carbon or A/C may, in the long run, be a more cost effective arrow.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

2117 have a thick wall and are very durable.(maybe not as durable as a GOOD carbon)I have not been impressed with that arrow in the past.It seems like it never shoots as well as other arrows of the same spine.

On the other hand,the 2216's seem to shoot well no matter what.

I don't know if others have seen this or not.

I would think a lighter aluminum would be a great choice for turkeys.Cheap with great tolerances.They won't penetrate as well and should stop in the bird.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:37 PM

Doesn't the "17" in "2117" indicate a .017 wall thickness? So a 2216 would be a thinner walled arrow?
Old 03-03-2007, 01:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes,the 17 does mean .017 thick and the 2216 would have a thinner wall.Anything over 15 imo is a thick wall.

I was referring to to how well those 2 arrows shoot out of particular setups.I haven't had much luck with the 2117's but the 2216's seem to work out of just about any setup,within reason.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:02 PM

My favorite arrow is 2213's. Don't have a real good reason why, just like them and seem to have good luck with them.

Paul
Old 03-03-2007, 05:34 PM

you will likely end up denting your aluminums alot shooting at birds a things... carbons are awsome fore that reason... the dollar or three more from the begining is definatly worth it
Old 03-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

My favorite arrow is 2213's. Don't have a real good reason why, just like them and seem to have good luck with them.

Paul
They are one of those aluminums that seem to shoot well out of many different setups.Regardless of what many of the charts say.That would be a good arrow for birds,provided they were somewhat close to the right spine.IMO,the wall thickness is too thin for deer but I know they have taken many but they are a Little fragile.

Quick Reply: Need help selecting Easton alumunum arrow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.