Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

compound bow for beginner?

Old 02-27-2007, 08:25 PM

Default compound bow for beginner?

very new to archery , at first thought of going with a crossbow but then the compound bow struck my interest. for a guy small size 5"7 adult , what kind of compound bow to best start with?

thanks a lot for the help
Old 02-27-2007, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: compound bow for beginner?

You have gotten a wide variety to choose from almost all bows that i can think of should probably fit u fine! Now u just have to get out to the shops and fine you one! Gd Luck!
Old 02-27-2007, 08:43 PM

i went to a shop but the can't recommend me much and the one they have are $350 and above which is way above my budget =(

i would like to see if ebay has some that u guys could recommend.

when a bow is left handed does it mean that i hold it with the left hand and draw it with the right hand or is it the other way around?

thanks a lot
Old 02-27-2007, 08:55 PM

I bought a Parker Buck Hunter XP for my wife its a 40-50lb and draw is adjustable from 26-31in for around $380. They also had higher lb ones there at Cabela's and there is a 13yrd range next to archery you can try it out before you buy. You can also hit the bargin cave they have some bows that need a string put on them for around $200-300.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kouki,
A right handed bow is one that you hold in your left and draw with your right. I'm a beginner also, but I didn't start with a beginner bow. I've been shooting my Drenalin for about 4 weeks now. More than one person will tell you to try as many bows as you can and get the one that you think fits you the best. I seriously considered starting with a crossbow, but I wanted to be sure that I'd be able to hunt legally if the laws change, plus I just wanted a little more challenge. Good luck!
Old 02-27-2007, 08:56 PM

these things aren't cheap huh , so nothing in the $100-$150 range?
Old 02-27-2007, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

You could find a decent used bow for that amount. Like I said, I'm new. From what I read on these forums, a lot of these folks buy bows quite often. Maybe one of them has a decent used bow for sale.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:04 PM

thanks for the options guys , so i cant really do an online shopping can i ..... damn the one at the stores are at least $250 and above and no way i can afford that. a crossbow will be cheaper =\
Old 02-27-2007, 09:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

As new as you are,you really wouldn't know what would fit you.That is the MOST important thing with a bow.Getting one that fits.

You need to visit a bow shop and talk to them about getting a used bow that FITS.They might have one in stock or give them your name.They have customers all the time that are looking to get rid of their old bow.They should take it on trade or let them get in touch with you directly.

Be patient,deal with a reputable dealer and you should be able to get one in your price range and one that fits.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kouki,
One idea.... if you see something that looks good on ebay, to to a shop and shoot one of them. If you like it, then bid on ebay. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: compound bow for beginner?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.