Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

compound bow for beginner?

Old 02-28-2007, 01:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: compound bow for beginner?

those long sticks are stablizers. helps them hold steadier i believe... as far as a recurve being easier. i got to disagree... when i started with a compound i took a pie plate anhay bale.. shot till i could hit the pie plate everytime... prolly took a whole hour maybe. then jsu took off from there... ive shoot a few recurves an i think its tuff. ive never heard of a beginner startin with a recurve. my first bow i got waswas 2 inches to long slap my arm everytime i shot.. hardly anyletoff but i loved to hunt an shoot it anyway. learned to make it work till i was good enough an had enough $$$ to step up a lil.. still not at the top of the line by no means. but once ya start jus cant stop!
Old 02-28-2007, 12:43 PM

hmmm so are there such thing as cheap compound bow for beginners?

and just to compare is a compound bow more accurate than a 150lb horton rifle crossbow?
Old 02-28-2007, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shop around until you find something you can afford. Just make sure that the draw length and pull weight fits you. I bought my Browning several years ago for half price. Somebody bought it, didn't like it and returned it so they sold it to me for half the new price.

Don't worry too much about finding something that "feels right." If you're new to the sport, you can get used to any brand of bow. You can spend a huge bag of money on equipment, but keep in mind that the purpose of the bow is merely to propel the arrow to the target. It doesn't have to be the best bow on the market to do that.

After you develop some skill and some experience and have had a chance to save up some coin you can get your dream bow.

But an old used bow is better than no bow at all.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:34 PM

thanks a lot guys , just wondering the accuracy achieved by a crossbow and a compound bow and which one can shoots faster.

apprecaite it
Old 02-28-2007, 10:24 PM

and i've been looking a lot into pse bows these days , is there one that is a good model? and have the highest adjustability?
Old 02-28-2007, 11:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think for a a newbie you could shoot better groups with a crossbow . kinda like shootin a rifle.. scopes an all... but i find compound more fun. speed wise.. anymore top of the line compound are capable of shootin same speeds if there set up for it. but crossbows have a lil speed advantage in the speed dept.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:30 PM

any good brands to go with? i really dont know what is considered a good deal with so many varying model and brand for my budget

MdDave: when u said about speed , do you mean speed of the arrows or re-loading speed? what i meant was re-loading speed for a compound bow and a cross bow. sorry if you misunderstood me. =)
Old 03-01-2007, 01:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

uumm never really worried about how fast u casn reload. jus make the first shot count...lol j/k ummm id say compound. . a crossbow you have to put down put ur foot in it pull it back nock an arrowfind the deer through the scope again... compound u nock an arrow attach ur release pullback an fire. if u dont mind me askin how old are you? if you a younger fella i would almost hafta go with a compound.. kinda depends on where u live 2.. here in md we can bow hunt for 5 months i think... crossbow hunt for 2 weeks or something like that. inless your handicaped then its all bowseason
Old 03-01-2007, 06:42 AM
Typical Buck

I may out of line a bit jumping into this thread, but as a heads up to you guys this "Kouki_S14" was just evicted from the crossbow section, he is looking for a something to shoot a person with. I copied this text of his:

"i'm from KS really , but the main thing im looking to get one of this cause there has been 2 times i almost caught the thief trying to steal my car but being in KS , we cannot injure them with firearms , hence i'm looking for a less deadly force projectile and saw that even airguns are not what i want"

I would be careful as to how much guidance you give him!

Shoot straight and stay safe.
David

ORIGINAL: Kouki_S14

any good brands to go with? i really dont know what is considered a good deal with so many varying model and brand for my budget

MdDave: when u said about speed , do you mean speed of the arrows or re-loading speed? what i meant was re-loading speed for a compound bow and a cross bow. sorry if you misunderstood me. =)
Old 03-01-2007, 08:06 AM

1WORD.....LYTHIUM

Quick Reply: compound bow for beginner?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.