Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Shot her through paper...

Old 02-26-2007, 09:40 PM

Default RE: Shot her through paper...

I knew I picked the Allegiance for a reason.

Thanks TFOX.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally Wash, I wouldn't concern myself too much with the paper thing except maybe trying to elimnate the low part of the tear. Walk back tuning will help a lot more. I personally feel way, way too much emphasis is placed on paper tuning. There are a lot of variables, including handle torque, form etc that play into getting less than perfect tears. When you get to walk back tuning, you are beginning to tune the bow to you, not the other way around.

The reason why I pay attention to vertical tears is because I think it harder to detect that type of tune issue during other phases of tuning. You would almost need slow motion camera to see that problem. Left and right issues will become evident when you get to walk back tuning and even more noticable if you bare shaft tune.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Up and down tears can also be an indication of a weak or stiff spine arrow.

I like paper but you must learn to read it but do not start adjusting a rest that is set correctly to get a good tear.You should get a good tear with a properly setup rest.If you do not,it tells you that you either are torquing the bow or your spine is not right.There are some other things but that covers about 90% of the problems.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:51 AM

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

Well I was bored this afternoon and decided to throw something together and shoot my Allegiance through paper. I was stuck using newspaper, but it seemed to work fine.

I shot two sets of three arrows and got a consistant low/left tear.

This means I need to move my nock point down and my rest to the left, correct? I rarely paper tune my bows, but I figured I would go ahead and do it today, so I'm pretty much a novice at this.

Hmm, to me it looks like A high/right tear in the picture??
Old 02-27-2007, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think your right.I saw that at first but just figured the paper was turned.

If the paper isn't turned,that is a high right tear.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:28 AM

The logic I see in paper tuning is that you can see where the point enters and where the nock follows. I think the goal is to get the point and nock to go through the same hole in the paper made by the point.. If the nock is high/right, to me it seems like the nock is being thrown to a different location than the point and the goal would be to move the point impact to the nock tear. From the looks of the picture, if it is shown to be in the correct rotation that the arrow rest could be moved up and inward (on a right handed bow) or the nock set down and the rest inward.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:06 PM

I would not make any adjustments based on what I see. That is a pretty good start and plenty close enough to start fine tuning. Either walkback, bareshaft, group or broad head tuning.

Paul