Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Need your opinions on Grim Reaper Mechanicals

Old 02-22-2007, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need your opinions on Grim Reaper Mechanicals

I'm seriously considering using Grim Reaper mechanicals for my first year bowhunting. I've seen that they have a new 1 3/4" cut Grim Reaper out now. I'm no physics major, but I know that's a lot of three bladed cut, and pass-though could be a problem. With 100 grain broadheads, my arrows will be 400 grains total moving at 300 fps. That extra resistance shouldn't be a problem for me, right? I need that bigger cutting path for a massive blood trail. Remember, I'm color-blind.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need your opinions on Grim Reaper Mechanicals

Don't take this the wrong way, but I find it hard to believe that you are getting 300 fps with a 400 grain arrow with your specs. I'm not saying its not possible, but with a Drenalin at less than IBO with a heavier arrow that seems fast. To answer your question, if you do have that speed you should have no issues with penetration. Even if you are a little under that you will be fine. Grim Reapers are known for excellent penetration and you should be pushing way more than enough KE to shoot them. Give em a try and let us know how you do.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

HuntingBry,
Don't worry. I never take anything the wrong way. I don't have enough experience to say why it shoots that fast. Like I said in the first thread I was in, all I know is that I saw the readout at the pro shop at Shelby Forest Archery inMillington, Tennessee(owned by Phil Long), and it read 299.8 fps. Who knows? Maybe I should take it to another range and test the speed there too. What do you think?
Old 02-23-2007, 02:01 PM

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

HuntingBry,
Don't worry. I never take anything the wrong way. I don't have enough experience to say why it shoots that fast. Like I said in the first thread I was in, all I know is that I saw the readout at the pro shop at Shelby Forest Archery inMillington, Tennessee(owned by Phil Long), and it read 299.8 fps. Who knows? Maybe I should take it to another range and test the speed there too. What do you think?
I think it's 1 of 2 things..........I'm sure you can read so I don't doubt the number you saw. Maybe your arrow is not really that heavy........or maybe that is exactly what you are shooting. If it is you are shooting 80 ft-lbs of KE and should have more then enough power to shoot through a deer and 2 or 3 trees behind it.

Make sure your specs are right and if they are then I would say on paper you are covered...........what happens in the field remains to be seen.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I ran his numbers on my program and it said 299 fps was what he should get.

All his number with arrow weight and draw length,along with poundage seem reasonable to me.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Atlasman,
You said that "what happens in the field remains to be seen". I couldn't agree more. I'm curious.. were you talking about the possible failure of the Grim Reapers or me? I ask this because if you have a reason to dislike the Grim Reapers, please tell me. I'm genuinely interested in your opinion. If you meant that I might miss... right now I'd be the first to say that might happen since I've never bow hunted. I am very determined, though. I'm shooting every day. Some days Ipractice my shootingstanding, sitting, or from a tree stand. I shoot when the wind is calm, or when it's gusting, and move the target around so that I have to fightboth crosswinds, a tailwind and a headwind. I've got about seven more months to get ready. I'm fairly certain that I could take a deer inside of 30 yards now, but by September, I intend to be absolutely certain that I can. I just don't want to blow the opportunity because of a bad broadhead. I'll take any advice from anyone to make an educated decision.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

I personally haven't used them but I have 3 hunting buddies that use them and they speak very highly of them. I help track a deer that a buddy hit 2 seasons ago and the blood trail was incredible. Track is a bad word b/c the deer went less than 10-15 yards. They continue to use them and haven't mentioned having any problems with them.

Welcome to bowhunting and good luck on your hunts.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:20 PM

Grim reapers are great, aslong as you hit what you aiming at.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:16 PM

Reapers are awsome, I shot two deer with them this year. One passed thru and stuck in the ground and the other went through the shoulder blade and stuck out the otherside of the rib cage. Heavy blood on both, I think it would be a good choice for you.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:48 PM

I don't doubt they are a great deer point. How about bigger stuff like elk? Particularly with a 55 lb compound?

Quick Reply: Need your opinions on Grim Reaper Mechanicals

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.