Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Need your opinions on Grim Reaper Mechanicals

Old 02-24-2007, 09:12 PM

Default RE: Need your opinions on Grim Reaper Mechanicals

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

Atlasman,
You said that "what happens in the field remains to be seen". I couldn't agree more. I'm curious.. were you talking about the possible failure of the Grim Reapers or me? I ask this because if you have a reason to dislike the Grim Reapers, please tell me. I'm genuinely interested in your opinion.
I have no reason to dislike the Grim Reapers in particular. I have killed deer with mechanical heads before but my preference is a good fixed blade (cut on contact) being my favorite.

Mechanical heads kill lots of deer every year and on the right bow I'm sure they are fine. It sounds like you shoot enough power.......as long as your arrow flight is in tune you should be fine. I always have a little doubt in my mind when I see a mechanical hit. I don't like the feeling of going down to check my arrow and hoping that all the blades opened and everything "worked" right on the head. I have NO experience with Grim Reapers though so I would never say anything bad about them.

If you meant that I might miss... right now I'd be the first to say that might happen since I've never bow hunted. I am very determined, though. I'm shooting every day. Some days Ipractice my shootingstanding, sitting, or from a tree stand. I shoot when the wind is calm, or when it's gusting, and move the target around so that I have to fightboth crosswinds, a tailwind and a headwind. I've got about seven more months to get ready.
Sounds like you are doing everything right.......and have a very good mindset. Practicing from a treestand is invaluable IMO to new shooters. If you keep up this routine for 7 more months you will be in good shape.

Anyone can miss.........anyone.

I'm fairly certain that I could take a deer inside of 30 yards now, but by September, I intend to be absolutely certain that I can. I just don't want to blow the opportunity because of a bad broadhead. I'll take any advice from anyone to make an educated decision.
If you want my honest advice I would say you should lood into one of the many options today in fixed broadheads also..........one more thing I will add is that 30 yards is far......it's far in the woods and it's far for afirst timer. ONLY you can know if you are truely gonna be effective out to that range. Just be honest with yourself and if you aren't positive you can do it then don't.....try and get that thing to come in a few more yards or just enjoy the show as it passes by........there will be plenty more. I'm not saying you can't do it but being a first timer and all a TON of other variables enter the equation when going from 20-30 yards. If you are certain of your skills then letit fly buttry to get them in close.......patience is important. I have never killed a deer farther then 20 yards away so you may never even have tomake that call.

LOTS of knowledge around here.........soak it up.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:19 PM

Why are you only shooting 55#??? I would still say they would do a great job. (Depending on the shot placement)
Old 02-25-2007, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Atlasman,
Sounds like good, sound advice. I've had a few people tell me that I should be able to shoot confidently out to 40 yards, but from what I've seen and heard, I've already decided that 30 yards will be the outside range for me in the woods. Also, believe me, I know anyone can miss. Yesterday I was shooting at 30 yards. I had my target set in front of my back yard fence. Just as I was about to release, my wife stuck her head out the door and yelled "PHONE!!" and I flinched. I missed the whole stupid target. The arrow blew througha 1x6 fence boardand buried the field point in a 4x4 post. The field point is still buried, but I managed to unscrew my Goldtip and get it out. Still "straight as an arrow".
Thanks for the advice. I'll check more closely into some of the fixed blade broadheads.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

It looks like I stand corrected on the speed issue. With that being the case you should have more than enough energy to shoot those broadheads, and just about any broadhead for that matter. I'll be switching to the same broadheads this year to change things up. I've been shooting Spitfires, but I like the bigger diameter on the Grim Reaper extras. As far as your outer limits go, it will always depend on the situation and you have to trust your gut. If you practice enough 30 yards should be well within your limits as long as the situation is right (relaxed deer, little wind, no obstructions, etc.).

Good luck.