Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Slick Tricks

Old 02-23-2007, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Slick Tricks

I bought some last year and really like them!
Old 02-23-2007, 08:22 AM

What is involved in tuning your bow?
Old 02-23-2007, 05:41 PM

Mine fly just like my field points and they are a really well made broadhead.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

Dont believe the hype. If your bow is out of tune they do not fly like field points. Neither do other fixed blade heads.Some bows tune easy some do not. I have tried a number of things to make my Slick Tricks fly with my field points and haven't made it happen yet. My bow shoots nice center tear in paper and the shop tells me everything is in tune but my Slick Trick still dont "fly like field points" and my field points fly really well. I am going to try walkback tuning next.

This talk of if your STs don't hit with your field points then you have other problems is really pretty silly. The way I see it there are no problems until you screw on the fixed blade head. If you screw on a field tip or expandable and you hit the target why do you have other problems?

Slick Tricks have a money back guarantee. If you don't like them send them back.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Johnny, you are one of the very very few that can't get a ST to hit where their field points hit.

I, as well as others like 5shot,have purposly untunedour bows and slick tricks still impact almost identically where my FP's do. Even out to 40 and 50 yards.

The way I see it there are no problems until you screw on the fixed blade head. If you screw on a field tip or expandable and you hit the target why do you have other problems?
Very incorrect. IMHO an expandable is a band-aid for an untuned bow. Yes, I use to use them too before I knew better. Yes an expandable will still impact the same spot as a FP but don't assume that just becasue they are that your arrow is entering the animal perfectly straight like it should be and you are geting the most penetration from your arrow combination.

The problems are still there, you just don't see it until a fixed blade broadhead is on the end of your arrow. Just becasue your FP's are hitting in one spot doesn't mean your bow is properly set up and tuned.

With just about any broadhead you screw on your arrows if you can't get them to impact with your FP's then something else is likely wrong with youe set up or tuning.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

bigbulls, I hear what you are saying but my arrows aren't flying sideways or anything. My penetration has been great (5 passthroughs on whitetails last year with the STs) but the accuracy hasn't been consistent.
I actually know quite a few experienced archers that have had trouble getting fixed blades to fly with their fieldpoints. A bow or an arrowcan be just a little out of tune and fixed blads accuracy can suffer. The blades are like vanes on the front of the arrows. How is that not going to effect arrow flight? Add some wind in and see what happens in comparison to field points.

I am happy for those with the knowledge and ability to tinker with your bow until you get get the broadheads tuned. I'm jealous in fact. It hasn't happened for me yet.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

A bow or an arrowcan be just a little out of tune and fixed blads accuracy can suffer.
That's exactly my point.

You just gotta keep making very small adjustments, one at a time, until you figure out what it is that is causing you to have accuracy problems with broadheads.

Are you sure your arrows are properly spined? A lot of times this will cause bad broadhead flight.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

I checked the charts on Arrow spine before I got my arrows. Tried Axis 340s and Maxima 350 with STs. I am going to keep working at getting my broadheads right with my FPs. So far I have messed with poundage, moved the rest up, down, left and right, moved the nock point, switched vanes, switched arrows.I like the idea of a fixed blade head and the STs make big holes. Plenty of shooting time until next Fall. If I can't get them hitting close enough to my FPs to my satisfaction I will probably try Steelheads, Sidewinders or Jak-Hammers because I know they fly more like FPs. Less exposed surface area on the front of the arrow.

I am really picky,shoot all of the time and need to feel totally confident when I go out to the stand. Last year I was confident in half the arrows I had. Each would hit in a slightly different spot but I knew where they would all hit. With FPs they all hit together.This Fall I want my broadheads together with my FPs.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:47 AM

After reading this entire post, I would like to put in my 2 cents worth. The subject is 2 fold 1- S/Tricks hitting with field points. There is only several reasons why they wont. They are not on the shaft straight. You have to spin them to check! Arrow spine plays a little part here (I can shoot CE 300's anywhere from38# to 65# with 85 to 145 gr B/H or F/Points and they all will shoot pretty darn close.( equal weights of course)Center shot will cause you more grief that anything else I know . TRy this-- Get behind your bow and line up the string, center of grip, center of the shaft and center of sight pin and center of the limbs( dont worry about the Peep) If all of the above do not line up in a straight line You are wasting your time and effort. Until you get to this point You cannot begin to tune your bow ( unless You are outhouse lucky) I am not advising you to do this PERIOD! A friend has a brand name bow that would not Shoot both heads the same no mater what he did until He tried to line everything up. He found that His lower limb was 1/4 inch outside of the center line. The only way he could line up at full draw was to torque the bow. He put the riser in a vise and bent the riser 1/4 inch. now everything is in line and CE 300's 2 in. blazers 145 gr B/Heads fly just like the Field points. ALL OF THE ABOVE IS STRICTLY MY OPINION. As well as saying that center shot should be in the centerline of your grip because that is where your line of pressure is and if you have to manipulate the grip to align everthing you are torquing the bow. Im also sure that Im going to catch a lot of flack from what I have said.

GGBH
Old 02-24-2007, 09:52 PM

ORIGINAL: mez

Do they fly like field point, yes if your bowis properly tuned, no if it is not. This comes up a lot and IMO it is tuning not the broadhead.

I switched to the Slick Trick last year and I really liked them. A quality broadhead and not switching any time soon. I had to broadhead tune my bow to get them to hit with my fieldpoints. After I did this my Muzzy's, Thunderheads, and Rocky Mountains all hit with my field tips as well.

Don't think you can sight in your bow and shoot field points and then just screw on so ST's and go hunting.

That's the key to setting up a hunting bow My Tribute was tuned with Muzzy heads right out of the box and it shoots anything I wish to put on the end of theAxis/ FMJ'sto the same POI..

Quick Reply: Slick Tricks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.