Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

out of adjustment, still hitting right

Old 02-22-2007, 07:01 AM

Default RE: out of adjustment, still hitting right

that looks very nice my good man, very nice indeed. not sure what to think about not all the arrows going in straight, but it could just be the half frozen hay.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have found that centershot on the hoyts will usually line up just outside of center of the stabilizer and usually around 13/16 from the inside of the riser to center of the arrow.

I like to start there and then group tune at the furthest distanceI am comfortable with.Shoota couplegroups and document the size.Move the rest in SLIGHTLY and reshoot and document again.Move out and repeat.You will find a sweet spot at some point and that will be where the rest needs to stay.

If you move up closer and are hitting right or left,there is a good chance you are canting the bow.Check the level or get a level.

You may also want to check for cam lean at full draw is best but I have found the hoyts change very little when draw so if it is off in the static position,it is most likely off when drawn.I WOULD ACTUALLY START HERE.

If all that checks out and you need a spacer,you may haveto get one made at a machine shop out of aluminum.I have made a couple over the years but don't know where they are.

I have a feeling you will be able to move the centershot and be back in business.

How does it check in paper?
Old 02-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: gibblet

how come? if you're shooting right at a 1.5 degree angle when you're trying to shoot straight- the farther you are away from the target the larger the triangle becomes, even though its a 'similar' triangle. the more distance from the target you have - the more time the arrow has to move along its intended path - right of the target - even thought its still shot at a 1.5 degree angle to the right.
My bad and thanks OHbow for the clarification. 2 in./2 ft. I even make a living at reading such things.Thought you were saying 2 in./2 in. oopsy.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX
I have a feeling you will be able to move the centershot and be back in business.
What? I thought I was open for business? Why should I move the centershot if I've got a straight line of arrows like in the picture?

How does it check in paper?
I've never checked it. Even if I did and it wasn't perfect, I wouldn't have the means to do anythingabout it myself. I welded a bow press together for my old Cybertec but it wont work onthe parallel limbs of the Vectrix. The arrows fly as true as I can see so I think I'll just leave well enough alone. Besides, I'm not too thrilled about the idea of buying a 700 dollar bow and having things be wrong with it. Not only that,my proshop assures me there's nothing wrong with the bow.He said he wouldn't be in business if hisset-up and tune was wrong. I'm not pressing the issue if I see arrows flying perfectly straight then hitting the intended mark.

Regardless, thanks to everyone who provided input.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

What? I thought I was open for business? Why should I move the centershot if I've got a straight line of arrows like in the picture?
Hoyt,
I think maybe he didn't see the pick of the walk-back you posted. If you can do that everytime, I'd not touch anything. I had my bow in pretty good tune until I let a guy try to paper tune it for me. BAD IDEA!! My walkback was pretty good, after he tried to "paper-tune" my bow, I was 2ft low at 20yds!!!!! I have it pretty much back now, still re-adjusting, but I can shoot and hit what I'm aiming at again. I still need to do some tweaking, but it IS better. Weather is easing up, I actually made it out to shoot a couple of times!!!! I think I'm ready for spring now.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I saw the pic.I am a little concerned about the arrows pointing different directions.It might be the bail causing it.

When you walked back,you did use the same setting on your sight didn't you? 20 yard pin?

I would still group tune,this will tell you how you are shooting and should bring the bow into the correct centershot with you.

I like to check things with paper,I can get my bows tuned correctly with centershot and spine and then check paper and it will usually yield a good tear.If it doesn't,there is a problem,regardless of what many think.Notice I said check with paper,I don't tune to paper.

ohbowhunter,the idiot you ran into trying to paper tune your bow was tuning to paper.Not tuning the bow,arrow,spine and shooter.

Ituned a bow 1 time that had to be set 1/2 high to get good tear,it took 3 spine sizes up to get the arrow set level and shoot good paper.For targets,it isn't that big of an issue but for fixed blade heads,it becomes an issue.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hoytail Hunter

Listen to TFOX he knows what he is talking about when it comes to Hoyt bows
Old 02-22-2007, 02:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Ausie

For the record,the bow I had to up the spine 3 sizes on was a real old bow that had some major nock travel issues.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ohbowhunter,the idiot you ran into trying to paper tune your bow was tuning to paper.Not tuning the bow,arrow,spine and shooter.

Ituned a bow 1 time that had to be set 1/2 high to get good tear,it took 3 spine sizes up to get the arrow set level and shoot good paper.For targets,it isn't that big of an issue but for fixed blade heads,it becomes an issue.
Bad thing is, before I let this guy mess with my bow, I was together w/ FP's and BH's out to 48yds. I'm afraid to shoot any BH's right now.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am not discounting the possibility that a spacer is needed.

There are just other things that can be checked and if you go ahead and check them,it might be advantages to you.It will also eliminate doubt.

The sight pictured doesn't look like it has much travel,so that may very well be the issue.

If youwere left handed and right eye dominant,I could see this happening also.

Quick Reply: out of adjustment, still hitting right

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.