Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

oh NOOOOOOOOOOO

Old 02-16-2007, 04:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default oh NOOOOOOOOOOO

I dry fired my bow ........Every night i pull and open up my bow to draw with all fingers and then ease off well my fingers slipped off as i was letting off and it went off im set at 50 pds and seems theres no damage. I looked at wheels string limbs everything even rubbed down with cotton notting so i go to a range today to shoot what do i do, hope for the best and shoot it, or be scared.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:45 AM

Default RE: oh NOOOOOOOOOOO

If it's a newer bow you likely have nothing to worry about. Inspect the limbs again for any cracks you may have missed and if a second search turns up nothing, I think you're in the clear.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:54 AM
Fork Horn

its brand new i shot it honestly 7 times now im looking everywhere as i write and im not sure what else to look for.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Next time have an arrow nocked, it's as good an excuse as any to practice and you'll never dry fire again.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:37 AM
Fork Horn

im learning that now................ just breaks the heart to have done that.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:04 AM

the bow needs to be broken down and the axles need to be checked. could have slightly bent them. you can just roll them on a very flat surface and see. make sure the string and cables didn't jump the track for a minute and get a slice. look at all the serving real well. check the cam walls for bending. when all that's done, keep an eye on those limbs for delaminating, flaking, or hairline cracks for a month or two.

oh, don't ask how i know all this
Old 02-16-2007, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, one of the things that scares the bajeebies me. I ALWAYS nock an arrow when drawing the bow, regardless of what I'm doing. I have a bag target setup in the basement at 6ft I aim at when doing anything that requires the bow to be drawn. One of the shops I frequently haunt lets people draw the bows without an arrow. It just makes me cringe seeing some 15 year old kid who hardly has enough strength to get the bow back, then try letting it down with his fingers.

Use an arrow. Its the cheapest insurance policy I know of against a dry fire.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

well thanks for the info boys but i was called into work today so no shooting for me as i guess roads have to be cleared talk to yous soon

Old 02-16-2007, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Every night i pull and open up my bow to draw with all fingers and then ease off
Why do you do that?
Old 02-16-2007, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dryfiring is definitely a scary thing to do, especially when your bow is brand new. I would take Gilbblet's recommandations on checking the bow over, as that is only way to know for sure if anything has happened. I bet you won't do it again though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.