Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Holy Cow!!!! These really work!!!!!!!!

Old 12-06-2002, 09:58 AM
CG

Default Holy Cow!!!! These really work!!!!!!!!

I have Darton Maverick and have it decked out with the basic silencing stuff...Limbsavers (in the usual spot and then another set by the limb bolt, kind of a poor man's NV system) String leeches w/ Kevlar, and a 4" Doinker stabilizer. The bow is quiet but on a whim I decided to get the Limb Saver Cable dampener. MY GOD!!!!!! I would guess it reduced noise another 50%!!!! I had a buddy come over and we tried it on his HC Brute Force....Same result!!! We must have taken them on and off 5 or 6 times just because it was truly hard to believe how much it dampened the remaining bow noise. Last time I was this surprised by a product was when I first put on Limb Savers. I don't have a clue behind the physics that make the Cable Dampener so effective but it REALLY works.....Thought I would pass the info. along......

"What we do in this life echos an eternity"
Old 12-06-2002, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Holy Cow!!!! These really work!!!!!!!!

CG, where on the cable guard did you place the dampener? Did it make a difference if you moved it around?

Old 12-06-2002, 10:38 AM
CG

Rangeball,
We placed it about 3/4"-1" from where the cable slide was at rest. That seemed to be the optimum spot but we didn't move it much further away than that.....

Old 12-06-2002, 11:02 AM

I have thought about purchasing a cable dampener but I don't know if I would see any difference on my setup. I'm shooting the MZE. It seems that because the cable slide and arm have to lower the rest at the shot, they would lose some excess energy there. I'm not sure if it would be of any more help to add the dampener or not...
Old 12-06-2002, 11:55 AM
CG

NYH,
If I hadn't just on the spur of the moment thrown them on an order to Bass Pro, I would still be thinking like you but I'm serious they really work! I also think that they would help quiet a rest attatched to the cable slide. Also I don't see how you could lose any energy using the dampeners.....they don't impair the slide at all.

Old 12-06-2002, 12:17 PM

Rubber is good stuff for making a bow quiet. Someday we'll probably see limbs and risers totally covered in camo rubber nubbs.
Old 12-06-2002, 03:31 PM

I have been singing the praises of the cable dampeners for awhile now. I have mine set about 1/4" below the cable slide at rest, so the slide hits them on the follow through. This helps further reduce cable and string vibration without affecting speed hardly at all. In my opinion these are like limb savers - every bow should have them.

Old 12-06-2002, 03:41 PM

]<font color=maroon>Thanx for the tip CG and others! Do they come in a set of 2? I want to try them on my Maverick also</font id=maroon>

Edited by - Jerry/NJ on 12/06/2002 16:48:03
Old 12-06-2002, 09:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

CG,
Is there any chance there is a bit of play in your cable guard rod that is causing a vibration or noise of sorts to begin with? The reason I ask is that I've tried the SIMS CG dampeners on several bows, a few different single cams and a dual cam and I really couldn't tell a difference at all. I was thinking that MAYBE you are getting some extra baseline vibration right at the cable guard that these are directly helping?..........I mean I did everything you did. Shot with them on shot, with them off , moved all over the place and I don't know if I was hearing ANY difference at all and I have pretty good hearing? You know one of those things where you kinda tilt your head to listen and go.......&quot;MMMMMmmmm I don't know,I can't tell?&quot; I know I sure couldn't FEEL anything.
I was imagining they couldn't HURT so I just left them on, but since I've sold the bows that had them on I've not replaced them and have since thought of them as sort of &quot;Gimmicky&quot;.
I'm not downplaying them or saying you aren't getting great results........just trying to put a grasp on why they work so much better on that bow?
I guess maybe I'll have to pick up another pair myself and give em' another shot on any new bows I pick up.
Old 12-07-2002, 09:05 AM

I think they require a very solid connection between the cable rod and the riser, to work well. My cable rod is epoxied into the riser so it cannot move. It is the most solid connection you can get which I think makes it act like a tuning fork. The dampeners absorb that vibration real well, and I think it helps to further silence the bow significantly when you have them set up for the cable slide to hit the dampeners on the shot.

Quick Reply: Holy Cow!!!! These really work!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.