Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

cold weathe shooting

Old 02-12-2007, 05:15 AM

Default cold weathe shooting

I think I know the answer to this question but I just want to make sure.
How much effect will wearing winter clothing have on my shooting?
I had a 3d shoot yesterday and did not shoot very well at all. Many shots seemed to be off to the right. I had thin gloves on, actually glove inserts, and a bunch of layers. With the gloves my release was not on my wrist were it normally is.
Am I correct in assuming that with the glove I could be producing torque, causing the shots to the right?
Long story short I spent 30 targets not feeling totally comfortable and my score showed it.
Thanks
Old 02-12-2007, 12:32 PM

Default RE: cold weathe shooting

I'd guess that it's the heavy jacket causing your form to deviate a bit more than it is your thin glove but a glove will change your anchor point slightly as well as how your hand addresses the bow.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:32 PM

Are youa right handed or left handed shooter? To me you have to practice with all those clothes on first and make adjustments. It definitely can throw my shoots of right or left depending what I have on.

Like KodiakArcher was telling you all those clothes do make a change and your gloves might have changed your anchor point.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:43 AM

Gloves will change your impact. The bow grip is not sitting in the "sweet spot" of your hand that you're use to. As for clothes, they can throw your shot off, but the way to get around it is to open your stance up a little more. If you shot the same round without gloves and just the clothes, and pulled yourleft foot back just a little bit(assuming you're right handed), you probably would see a few more points on the card.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:09 PM

Thanks guys. My thought was that the glove was the root cause. Hopefully it will be a bit warmer this Sunday.