Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

how many pins to use

Old 02-07-2007, 10:59 PM

Default RE: how many pins to use

I use 4 also, set for 20, 30 ,40, and then for 55 Right now im shooting 250ish and they are pretty close together. I never get confused though.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:08 PM
Site Bouncer

I shoot with three pins. I like this much better than single pin sights but that's just me. Once set I can actually use my pins as a range finder on deer. You just need to know how much space the deer's body takes up between the pins at various ranges. I set mine with mydeer target, just like you would with a range finding scope on a rifle.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot with one pin sighted in at 25 yards. I believe in keeping it simple.

Dan
Old 02-15-2007, 04:07 PM

I have 3 pins. I have them set at 20,30,40 and have never had a problem with that setup.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MB.prostaff.bgcalls

I use 4 also, set for 20, 30 ,40, and then for 55 Right now im shooting 250ish and they are pretty close together. I never get confused though.
Well, someone had to do it, but.... I call BS!!!! 20-30-40-55???? You're kidding right??? Because the arrow would drop farther from 40 to 55 than is would from 20 to 40. At least I hope you're kidding, because if not, you're sadly mistaken.

I personally shoot a 5 pin sight, and will limit myself to shots of 40yds and under unless there is a special circumstance (very calm conditions, and un-alerted animal at 45 yds or so may be considerable), I will not incringe upon that limit. I set my pins at....24-32-40-48-56yds, and was shooting comfortably out to 60yds, prior to my recent "paper tuning" episode. No don't get me wrong, I wouldn't take a "hunting" shot farther than 50yds, and even then it would be a rare circumstance, but adding a range-finder to my equpment list, has allowed me the opportunity to know precisely where I will hit at a variety of ranges, and had extended my range a bit.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:35 AM

I know I'll probably get bashed a little but I use 6 pins the last3 are just forPRACTICE out to 70 yards I like pushing myself and seeing what I can do but I WOULDN'T shoot an animal that far it just makes the shorter shots easier for me. They are all a different color and I've yet to get them confused. Can't wait to see what my new bow will do I'm going with a new setup so I'll have to get used to it but I went with 6 pins on it also. New Vectrix xl with the extreme rt900 and soon to be added fitz fibers. My friend is getting into bow hunting and I told him to stick with 3 pins until he get used to them.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

trying to determine how many pins to use hunting ,1 or multiple
I use as many pins as I can fit into the sight window.
That way, If I miss with the first shot I can keep trying other pins until I get a hit.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Welcome to the forums.
I use 3 (@20, 30, 40), but would be comfortable with 2.
I like multiple pins so I can more easily prorate aiming points that are a in between where I havea givenpins set. It's easier to nail a 25 yard shot right on if you can center your aim between your 20 and 30 yard pins rather than simply aiming a bit high with your 20 yard pin.

Multiple pins also help you more precisely visualize the actual trajectory your arrow will take on its way to the target. This can be useful if there are obstacles in the way to clear (like branches and leaves). For instance, if I know that my arrow is 2 inches high at 10 yards when I aim with my 20 yard pin, then I know I can clear a small twig at 10 yards thatappears to bedirectly in my line of sight as l aim at a 20 yard target, and my 10 yard pin will show me the exact path my arrow will take as it passes the twig.

The 'number of pins'decision should be based on a couple of things:
What is your personal maximum shooting distance while hunting?
How much difference is there between the POI at your max range and midrange where the arrow will be at the apex of its trajectory? If you have a flat shooting setup, then a single pin at 25 yards may well take care of the whole schmeerand only need very minor adjustments in point of aim over your whole shooting distance. My aluminum shafts with 100g heads and helical feathers casually saunter out of my only 55 pound bow at about 220 fps, so multiple pins make a lot of sense for me.