Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Thoughts on Hoyt's yoke system

Old 01-15-2002, 05:24 AM

Default Thoughts on Hoyt's yoke system

Its been a while since I've seen any discussion on the way Hoyt makes the cable (specifically, the yoke) on their bows. Hoyt used to make a big deal about this, but they don't mention it much anymore. To me, it seems like a much better way of building a cable. It is stronger, and it seems like you shouldn't have to worry about how many twists are on each side of the yoke. Yet, Hoyt is the only company that I know of that makes cables that way. Is Hoyt's method better? If it is, why doesn't anyone else make cables this way?
Old 01-15-2002, 05:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Thoughts on Hoyt's yoke system

Good question Olink. I don't have the answer for you. Maybe one of the other techies could help in this regard.

On a side note...I want to thank you for that GMRS/FRS link that you posted some time back. I use that site extensively now
Old 01-15-2002, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

Don't know if this is the reason or not but I thought they made it this way so they didn't have to pay royalties or whatever as I thought it had been patented (not by Hoyt). At least this is what I thought I had heard.
Old 01-15-2002, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

The flipside to that is that if you DO have a conventional split string yoke, you do have the ability to compensate a bit for any limb torque and one-sided loads at full draw. This is due to the pressure from the the cables on the cable guard pulling to one side. Also cam lean can be manipulated by shortening (by twisting) one side of the yoke and not the other. This condition is worse on short a-to-a bows (generally), and can aslo depend on cable guard offset dimensions and cam-to-axle/bushing tolerances.

Can't do that on a Hoyt....

Edited by - Black Frog on 01/15/2002 08:55:21
Old 01-15-2002, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I believe it prevents the problem of lean from occuring.I've never had a problem with lean until I had a new cable made and it was a standard style system.Then I had to do some twisting.
Old 01-15-2002, 12:09 PM
Spike

Iroquois is exactly right. When Hoyt first used the design they apparently didnt understand how it was supposed to work because they let the cable float on the yoke which didnt allow independent tuning on each side of the yoke. The result was a lot of bent axles on Carbonite split limb bows because you couldnt tune out the lean at draw. Hoyt changed to the served yoke the very next year. The new system still allows them to get around the patent.