Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

String/cable contribution to fps

Old 12-03-2002, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default String/cable contribution to fps

This is something I've been mulling over since having read the review of the Bowman custom strings, plus some emails with George Bowman.

In the review, it states a 14 fps gain over stock strings. 6 or 7 fps over comparable Winner's Choice strings. I'm not sure, but from the pics the bow appeared to be a Mathews. George stated that if the reviewer would have let him do what he normally does (16 versus 18 strands plus some other stuff) the performance would have been even greater.

Stock strings are most probably cheaply made. Winner's Choice seem to get the nod as top notch, but apparently Bowman is a step above them?

Bowtech uses Winner's choice and has more stated fps than other manufacturers. In fact, their bow that is very close to my Diamond Hornet has a faster IBO, but it has Winner's Choice as stock, I have no name #8125 as stock.

I know it would depend on the bow, but if what George Bowman is stating is true, that his way of making strings by hand makes a bow faster and quieter, as much as 14+ fps, my Hornet IBO would jump to 332+, just by adding his string and cable, for around $60 shipped (if I figured correctly). Not to shabby

So, I guess what I'm asking is, can a string/cable combo really add this much performance to a bow? How and why?

Here's the link to the review for those who missed it first time around- http://ca.geocities.com/petergward/t...manstrings.htm

Edited by - Rangeball on 12/03/2002 16:57:55
Old 12-05-2002, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: String/cable contribution to fps

Back to the top as hopefully no one saw this other than you are all just ignoring me...

Old 12-05-2002, 07:36 AM

Much can be done with string material and more speed can be gained by doing certain 'tricks'. Making a string with less strands, using material that doesn't have as much elasticity, eliminating string weight, etc., are some of the 'tricks'.

Some of the negative aspects of increased speed using certain tactics are more noise, decreased string life, increased component wear, possible additional hand shock.

For example, I had a special string made for my bow. I lost 3-5 fps; but, my bow got quieter and the string has lasted longer than any other string I've had on the bow. It was made out of 22 strands of 452+ and had special servings and a unique layout done by one of my tournament shooters, who is a 4 time National Champion. He listened to all the professional input over the years and then formulated his own design.

In my case, I was willing to accept a speed loss to gain all the other attributes.

Old 12-05-2002, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Len, what do you think of George Bowman's claim of increased fps and durability while being quieter? Can we really have our cake and eat it too?

Old 12-05-2002, 11:19 AM
Typical Buck

I dunno Rangeball, sounds a little like marketing tactics from this guy to me. But there are admittedly some attributes to custom string making that will increase speed, tho the "quieter" part is tough to buy unless the bow was not timed correctly with the other strings, and happened to hit the right "sweet spot" by luck with the new custom set.

It is no secret that simply by dropping strands you can gain a considerable amount of speed, up to as much as 5 feet per strand between various materials. But, as Len dipicted above, you pay for that speed increase, usually with more vibration and shock throughout the bow. I also am a firm believer in a "soft shot", and is why I choose D97 or 450+ for most of my strings and harnesses. The 8125 has the fastest speed because it is very small diameter. The 452 is half the size of 450+, and thus faster as well, but you have to use either more strands of each to gain the same diameter, or use thicker center serving, or both to get the diameter up to one that accepts "normal" nock throats correctly, or you must downsize to a .088 nock throat from an .098. For 10-15 feet, to me it's just not worth all of the hassle, not to mention a stricter maintenence schedule you will have to implement due to increased shock and vibration running through your equipment.

If you tie your knots correctly, and your strands pre-stretched,(or have them done) most all quality materials on the market will settle in quite quickly and be no more bothersome than those made of the "strongest, fastest and toughest" new materials found anywhere, but they will be much quieter and produce a softer shot! Winners' Choice, Tailor-Maid, and other top custom stringmakers can build you strings out of any of the aforementioned materials that will not move, yet some of them will be much more forgiving to your bow. Worth every bit of that 10-15 ft IMO. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12

Edited by - Pinwheel 12 on 12/05/2002 12:20:25