Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Grip question (form)

Old 01-29-2007, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Grip question (form)

quick little drill as to why you should have it on the thumb pad and not your palm. with your bow hand relaxed, push on it with your right knuckles - its easy to move around. Now try and do that pushing on the thumb pad - much harder since the thumb pad is in line with the forearm bones. seems to me like maybe he is shooting with an incrediibly low wrist grip. Try almost lining up your thumb pad and forearm in a straight line. You'll also move your elbow out and keep your arm away from the string.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Excelent thread , once we get most of the other things in archery figured out , or think we do , its down to grip , I have strugeled with mine for years . Lots of diferant grips , and hand positions , even amongst the pros , they dont all do it the same way . Its an individual thing . I dont think any one would sugest grabing the grip with all of your grasp , wraping fingers around and sqeazing as a good grip , nor will most sugest a super high grip with the tention of the bow pulling it into the web between thumb and index finger . You must find the happy medium between the two extreems , that you are most consistant with . I will tell you what works for me , it may not work for you or the majority . I am most consistant with a medium high grip , the kind that darton and merlin bows kind of fource your hand into . Cant shoot a thin straight up and down grip that requires a low grip with any consistancy at all , the type of stock grips that have been on bowtech bows for the past couple years , these bows definatly require a low grip , many do well with them , Im not one of the many .
Old 02-01-2007, 09:03 AM
Dominant Buck

If I had to guess, Dan....I'd say you were having trouble drawing your bow with your hand in the proper position.....because you're pulling too much poundage.

There's nothing wrong with cranking it down a little. No shame.

If my son (he's 14 but looks to be about your size) can't put his sight pin on his target and draw it straight back.......I turn it down.

If I'm wrong....I'm wrong......but it's something to consider.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

If I had to guess, Dan....I'd say you were having trouble drawing your bow with your hand in the proper position.....because you're pulling too much poundage.

There's nothing wrong with cranking it down a little. No shame.

If my son (he's 14 but looks to be about your size) can't put his sight pin on his target and draw it straight back.......I turn it down.

If I'm wrong....I'm wrong......but it's something to consider.
I would agree this could very easily be the problem. I am a pretty big guy (215 @ 6') and 70lbs is a bit much for me to maintain good form when I am not shooting a lot and conditioned well.

The proper hand position before the draw is critical becauseit will prevent you from inducing torque into your bow arm during the shot sequence while trying to get into a proper grip. Once youadjust weight and learn how to set this before the draw, and then learn to hold the tension needed to maintain form in your back,your front arm can be amazingly relaxed and it will slow your sight picture movement waaaaay down. I actually take the time to visualize this relaxed state of the bow arm before every shot as part of my shot sequence, I can't imagine trying to adjust it at full draw while trying to maintain that shot tension in my back, next to impossible IMHO.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Rick James

[

The proper hand position before the draw is critical becauseit will prevent you from inducing torque into your bow arm during the shot sequence while trying to get into a proper grip. Once youadjust weight and learn how to set this before the draw, and then learn to hold the tension needed to maintain form in your back,your front arm can be amazingly relaxed and it will slow your sight picture movement waaaaay down. I actually take the time to visualize this relaxed state of the bow arm before every shot as part of my shot sequence, I can't imagine trying to adjust it at full draw while trying to maintain that shot tension in my back, next to impossible IMHO.

I really can't get it right. Aussie-guy gave me some grip tips ,but my problem is stillleveling the bow. Unless I twist my wrist around ,the tip of the bow tilts to the left. (I'm a lefty) When twisting the bow to level it my arm and shoulder tenses up even though my grip is loose. I know I'm not pulling too much wt.
I know this isn't my thread and I'm not trying to take it over , but I don't want to start a dup.
I am WAY open 4 suggestoins.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

My first question would be "Why can't you draw the bow like that?".

Paul
I was wondering the same thing myself. Takes practice, but you should be able to maintain that grip all throughout the draw cycle.
Got a wrist loop?
Old 02-01-2007, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

archer58 , some put a counter weight off the right side of the risor under the grip , if your bow has a rear stabilizer hole , use a quick disconect nuckel and put a doinker , or some other short heavy stabilizer in the 45 degree position off to the right , helps to ballence the bow .
Old 02-02-2007, 01:46 PM

I suppose I should choose my words more carefully. It isn't so much that its difficult for me to physically draw the bow back (despite my size, I'm fairly strong), its just uncomfortable [for my hand] to draw back this way. My guess is because I hadn't drawn this way very much previously.

Anyhow, I've been working on things and this is where I'm at currently;

Little to no palm on the grip, fingers relaxed...
Old 02-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

wash what rest is that?
Old 02-02-2007, 02:09 PM

Cobra Diamondback.

I've got one on both of my bows.

Quick Reply: Grip question (form)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.