Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Can a bow be too shock free?

Old 01-24-2007, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Can a bow be too shock free?

This is good stuff guys. Maybe its not a particular design or a combination of design characteristics we're after. Are we suggesting that each bow has a particular "feel" that we all eventually aquire after shooting it a while? I remember a certain Hoyt Xtec I owned that had a "feel" all its own to me. I knew right away, even with eye's closed when I shot a good or bad shot. It was a particular way the bow reacted in my hand.

But I wonder, for example, if a bow was created that had zero shock, recoil etc. Could any error on our part then exibit a little shock and therefor teach us to shoot the bow the correct way every time?

Old 01-24-2007, 04:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

This is good stuff guys. ...........
But I wonder, for example, if a bow was created that had zero shock, recoil etc. Could any error on our part then exibit a little shock and therefor teach us to shoot the bow the correct way every time?
Muzz .... this is how new technology starts ... great post here ......
Old 01-25-2007, 07:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

I tend to agree that there could be some merit to that. Now you are starting to get into what I was referring to in my other thread. I believe you will run into some opposition with that though. Having a bow teach us how to shoot......I don't know.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:24 AM

I agree with everyone posts.

For me, its feel. Like any athlete in any sport in some ways. How some pichers pitch better in the heat, or the cold. Or how how some NASCAR guys like their cars tighter or looser. Most shooters I know like some kind of feedback from the bow. I certainly do. I am having a hard time deciding between the the new Bowtechs for precisely that reason.

I like to feel my bow. No feedback, for me, isn't perfection. It's a very fine line between the two though.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:00 AM

Muzzyman, nice post. Good to see some real thought & conversation in this thread.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have not read every post, but the question was asked if a bow can be too shock free. Now I am assuming that it is a bare bow without all the dampners and silencer gizmos on it that we are talking about.

I would say no, a bow can not be too shock free. A shock free bow will be a more efficient bow which will transfer more energy to the arrow.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bobco, I understand and agree with what you're saying. However, I'm referring more on accuracy and not efficiency. Actually, consistant accuracy. But you bring up a very good point. The better the tune on a bow, the more efficient it should be. This also will yield less vibration and noise usually.

However, we all remember the days of shooting bows that would jar your teeth loose. Flinching, catching the bow, ducking...all that took away from accuracy.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm probably not as consumed with Bows and all the refinements that can be made to them as those ofyou who frequent the tech forum.

But if you are a serious target shooter I would say yes a bow can be too shock free. I can relate by saying I had bought a set of golf clubs a couple years ago. Callaway's to be exact. They were so forgiving that every shot felt pure, even if the results told me otherwise. I hated that. You need to feel where your misses are. It didn't take me long to realize these clubs weren't for me.

Perhaps a more casual shooter or hunter (or golfer in my caes) would like the no feedback..but once you attain a certain level you are more in tune with what the feedback is telling you.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

However, I'm referring more on accuracy and not efficiency. Actually, consistant accuracy.
I guess I misunderstood your question then. Accuracy and consistancy is much a variable of the archer. Accuracywill comeform which can beapplied consistantly.

I thought the question pertained more to the bow itself.

However, we all remember the days of shooting bows that would jar your teeth loose.
Some people are sensitive to shock, some are not. Some even develop tennis elbow. I have to pay attention to myself not to overshoot my moose hunting bow. It's a Howard Hill andshoots 74#'s at 29". Some would think it kicks like a mule, some would say it doesn't kick at all. I'm kind of in the middle, but it is the quietest bow I have ever shot even without silencers. And in my hands it is accurate. But not the most efficient bow out there.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Muzzy, I quite understand what you're saying here. However accuracy lies more in the shooter's form and release--the bow will only do as much as the shooter can.
As for zero recoil--after shooting the Guuardian for the first time, I asked myself the same question--kind of like--'what just happened'.
Guess I can relate this to, having a fish on hook and not knowing it's still there--sort of thing.Or a pill that melts in your mouth without having to swallow it whole. Almost like loosing the 'feeling'.
I think there's no one answer for your question, as this touch will always vary with the shooter.
Good topic none the less!

Quick Reply: Can a bow be too shock free?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.