Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Sniper Mechanical broadheads

Old 12-01-2002, 09:19 PM
Spike

Default Sniper Mechanical broadheads

I seen a broadhead test on the sniper broadhead by 5 shot a while back and I tried to pull up in the search no luck.Has any one used them and do the think they might work on elk.I seen on the broad head thread that they were used but but there were just a couple hunters that used them.
Old 12-02-2002, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sniper Mechanical broadheads

the Snypers are still a very good mechanical head. My opinion of them has not changed. Some have used them on elk with mixed results. I don't recomend most mechanicals for elk, the snyper included. The only drawback the head may have is that the ferule can bend near the tip when hitting hard bone or when shot at a steep angle. I killed my best buck ever with a snyper, and I honestly feel for deer size game they are a great head. Not perfect, but still better than most mechanicals out there. As with any head you need to know the pro's and cons and then decide if it is the head for you. I feel 100% confident using snypers on deer, but elk are just to big and tough in my opinion.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 12-02-2002, 08:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would agree 110% with 5 shot about mechanicals and elk. I learned the hard way. This season I was able to get a shot at one of the biggest elk I have ever seen, much less shot at. I was using shockwaves and hit a little far back but within the kill zone. Well the arrow didn't get much penetration and very little blood after 50 yards and then none. The arrow just cloged the wound and didn't allow it to bleed. I searched for two days and didn't find the elk. I immediatly bought some innerlock heads and tuned the bow to them. I was disgusted with myself for weeks and almost didn't hunt the rest of the season. Do yourself and the elk a favor and use a good fixed blade head. Don't make the same awful mistake that I did.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:58 AM
CG

I was one of those that reported on the failure in an elk with the snyper. The tip simply sheared off (tip was found between the hide and the ribs). I think the snyper has the best design out there (rearward opening blades) but IMHO and IME the tip is not tough enough for elk. My personal recommendation FWIW is the Muzzy 4-blade 100 grain. I've killed 3 elk with the same head (new blades each time of course).

"What we do in this life echos an eternity"
Old 12-10-2002, 02:00 PM

just killed my first deer ever with one and got two complete pass-throughs on a doe(I got two shots on her). It made a great wound and blood sprayed out both sides. I only have 55-56 ft-lbs of K.E. as well. The Snyper should definitely be the way to go on deer with lower amounts of K. E. because of its rearward opening blades. They should use significantly less energy to open that the older swing-open style. My bro in law got one to open up going through paper. Pretty impressive. As stated already, I'd be a little leery of using it on an elk. I'm obviously no expert, but I really liked them. They fly really well-a couple of inches lower than my field pts.

The most important bloodtrail leads right to the foot of the cross