Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

speed mod vs smooth mod

Old 01-18-2007, 10:03 AM

Default speed mod vs smooth mod

Here's another one from me.Two questions.I have an 06 tribute w/speed mods on it. #1).Would it be better to have smooth mods & the bow set @ its highest poundage (70#) or speed mods set backa bit @ 62#? I've heard that a bow is best @ it's max draw weight, vs tuning it back a bit. I can draw the speed mods @ 70 but it's way easier cut back a little bit. #2)Would the smooth mods make drawing back that much easier?
Old 01-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: speed mod vs smooth mod

The mods do change the feel of the draw cycle. I cannot say one way or another if one would be better for you. This is more of an individual feel issue. I think the average speed difference between the speed and smooth mods is about 7 fps. A change in draw weight from 70 to 65 pounds usually results in a speed change of about the same amount, maybe a bit more. In which case this is an issue with the feel of the draw cycle itself rather than any possible change in speed/trajectory, etc...

Personally, I would probably opt for the smooth mods at a higher poundage if the shape of the draw cycle is more appealing to you.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the previous answer. The smooth mods do make the draw feel better, and the fps difference is negotiable.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:05 AM

I did notice that the speed mod.'s are more likely to have the arrow jump off the rest during the draw cycle. If you're not using a full containment style rest this may be a consideration. I also like the draw cycle of the smooth mod.'s better in cold weather. Unless you're shooting 3D I think the smooth mod.'s are the way to go no matter what you do with the poundage. You're just not going to notice a loss of 7 fps and the gains way outweigh the loss.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I also like the draw cycle of the smooth mod.'s better in cold weather.
I've written more than a few times that this is exactly how I utlized my two different mods... I keep my bows at 65, and used the speed mods all the way up until the temps dropped below freezing this hunting season. Once it did so, I switched to the smooth mods with no noticeable difference in POI at hunting distances, and I could draw just as easily in the cold temps as I could previously when the temps were higher.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the smooth mods in my 07 Allegiance and really like the draw cycle. For the same reasons above, I feel its just a better option all around. The speed loss is very minimal when you consider the other things we do to our bows to kill speed. If this is pretty much a hunting bow, with a little 3D thrown in, its the way to go.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:01 PM

I've written more than a few times that this is exactly how I utlized my two different mods... I keep my bows at 65, and used the speed mods all the way up until the temps dropped below freezing this hunting season. Once it did so, I switched to the smooth mods with no noticeable difference in POI at hunting distances, and I could draw just as easily in the cold temps as I could previously when the temps were higher.
Greg/Mo, dispell a rumor for me. I've heard that bows should be set at their max. draw weight for their optimum performance. Is there a real deficit in setting them back?
Old 01-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

In theory, and under perfect conditions, a bow probably does perform at its maximum efficiency with its limbs bottomed out. Could you, I or anybody in the circles that I run in at least, ever be able to tell? I very, veryhighly doubt it.