Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Hey LEN what do you think about this?

Old 01-14-2002, 07:33 PM

Default Hey LEN what do you think about this?

Len, I gather that you have installed quite a few Muzzy ZE rests and would love to hear you opinion on the following.
Randy Ulmer in the new edition of Petersons Bowhunting magazine seems to be saying that the Longer the Delay before a drop away rest falls, the more consistency (accuracy) you will get in your setup as long as the rest drops away in time to clear the fletching.

What do you. I have alway used the third (most inboard towards the center of the arm) pivot hole to get the rest out of the way the fastest, but maybe the opposite is the way to go? Have you played with this aspect?
What are your thoughts? Which hole do you tend to use for the pivot?

Old 01-14-2002, 11:13 PM

Default RE: Hey LEN what do you think about this?

Nubbb: I answered this subject on another thread but don't mind publishing my answer here as well.

Most have installed their own and maybe a friend's; whereas, we have installed hundreds for our customers. The tuning issue is usually relevant moreso to the arrow spine, cam timing, and shooter form. We have found that shooter form is much more forgiven by a good drop away rest when compared to a standard TM style rest.

One thing, on the MZE we try to do is keep the "overdraw" concept to a minimum. This is done to effect an arrow launch closer to the throat of the grip and to keep, in some cases, the cable(s) from hitting the hook. We have most often found that, in keeping with the above set of self-imposed standards, the mounting hole is dictated and not much of a choice. Yes, in some cases, you can choose another hole; but, keeping the hook closest to the riser has always worked better for us.

I have the equipment to do exact testing of "time" on the rest; but, have not yet seen the need to analyze this subject. We have not seen the need to keep the arrow on the rest any longer than necessary. In extending the time on the rest, it theoretically would lead to the type of launch mechanism that we have with a TM style rest.

This is not totally scientific but is very objective based on our observations. Hope it helps.

Old 01-14-2002, 11:52 PM

Default RE: Hey LEN what do you think about this?

Len, thanks for your input. I have all of mine installed as you recommend. I don't use the overdraw bracket at all and have the hook immediately behind the riser, typically using the most inboard holes for both the pivot and the hook. It seems to work great, but I just thought I would see what your thoughts were. Thanks again.