Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

UBAR Wahers?

Old 12-01-2002, 02:25 AM

Default UBAR Wahers?

I went to shooting carbons this year and have been using shockwaves, well this coming weekend I'm going on a hog hunt and was told I had to use a fixed head. I picked up a doz of 100 gr thunderheads and noticed a note included in the box to use UBAR washers. Yesterday I went back to the shop and they didn't have any and told me it was just bull and if I really needed them to go to a hardware store and get some flat washers. I'm switching shops starting now but am wondering what the washers are for. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-01-2002, 07:20 AM

Default RE: UBAR Wahers?

If you are using carbon arrows and not using the washers between the arrow and broadhead, the head may, when it opens upon impact, fold back over the arrow too far thus limiting the cutting diameter of the broadhead.

>>>------------>
Let's Go Shootin' ! Pinmaster
>>>------------>
Old 12-01-2002, 05:00 PM

Default RE: UBAR Wahers?

Look closely at the construction of your fixed bladed Thunderheads. The blades are held in place using a sliding metal ring and a rubber o-ring washer. When you screw the head into the arrow shaft, the o-ring is compressed between the metal ring on the head and the shoulder of the insert in the shaft. This firmly holds the blades in place...unless the shaft diameter is small enough that the the o-ring has a chance to 'roll over' the shaft upon impact which may cause the blades to fall out of the head. The UBAR's are designed to prevent this.

You could try to find a washer at the hardware store that will properly fit without sticking out too far. Be sure to spin test each head. I would try to find the UBAR's myself but you might not have enough time. In the future, I would advise giving yourself more time to work out the kinks when you change your bowhunting system. You barely have time to retune with the fixed blade heads before you head after the hogs. Good luck.

HuntingNet Member since Spring 2001