Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Help me pick out a 3-D Arrow

Old 11-30-2002, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default Help me pick out a 3-D Arrow

Ok I want to get the best out of my setup this year for 3-D. Can you guys help me pick a arrow/fletching/point combination? Right now I'm shooting a Mathews Q2 26 inch draw and about 42 pound draw. I am using a Nap 2000 drop away rest and Carbon Express 100 arrows, 3 4 inch straight vanes, and 100 grain point. I see a lot of people using 2 inch vane, what is the advantage of this? Thanks for any help!

Old 11-30-2002, 09:06 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-01-2002, 08:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Help me pick out a 3-D Arrow

You ask what the advantage the short fletching is over the longer.

For target shooting with longer shots,you will retain more speed downrange(30 yards or more).What this does is lets the light arrow slow down a little slower.This is important because a light arrow begins to get unstable in flight when it is slowed down too fast.This will cause your groups to be larger at longer distances if your arrows slow down too fast.

I personally use 1.875 fletching and wouldn't go any longer than 3" for serious 3-d shooting.If I were practicing for hunting with strictly a hunting setup then I would use whatever I were going to use in the woods.I currently use 3" for hunting and have 360 gr. arrows.

As far as the arrow.If they are 26" then I would go with an 80 gr nibb(or some type of glue in)point.I would go to 1.875 vanes and this will keep foc around 12% and the groups should be tighter along with more speed.

With that short of a draw I would consider the ACE's by Easton but they are extremely expensive.If price is not a factor then look at them.If price is a factor,what you have is probably as good as any.The Easton Redlines would also be a very good choice and they offer a better spine range than the Carbon Express.If you want more diameter on the arrows then the Carbon Express cxl 150's should be good arrows but they are a bit more expensive and not as durable.